Viacom Lawsuit Against YouTube Thrown Out Of Court!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Viacom Lawsuit Against YouTube Thrown Out Of Court!

Today marks an important day for the Internet. US District Court Judge Louis Stanton has thrown out Viacom's copyright infringement case against Google owned YouTube today, with some critics calling it a victory for the Internet.

Judge Stanton threw out the case because he believed YouTube was protected by safe harbor provisions in the US DMCA, and in his 30-page ruling clearly stated why Viacom's claim for "massive copyright infringement" had not merit.

This follows an earlier decision involving another video sharing website, Veoh, in which the judge in that case also found in favour of the Internet website.

Google general counsel Kent Walker had to this say in a public blog post: "This is an important victory not just for us, but also for the billions of people around the world who use the Web to communicate and share experiences with each other."

Viacom has vowed to appeal the decision.

More:

A copyright lawsuit filed against YouTube by US entertainment giant Viacom has been thrown out, handing the Google-owned video site a major legal victory in a closely watched case.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Wow! Looks like Google is not only making enemies on all sides but many friends as well! You did mention this as their game plan and objective. Great for them on this one and better for all of us net users. This playing all sides against the middle has worked tremendously in their favor to the present day. They even came out w/a better Droid cell phone if in fact it's Google that's behind this. Correct me if I'm wrong. Just saw the coverage on Yahoo and how it's giving the i4 phone by Apple a very strong competitive hit.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

Yep, I have the Motorola Droid, I've loved that thing, it's way better than the iPhone... and still better than the iPhone 4
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

Funny Google used Motorola and others to sample their apps.. They made enemies w/all these guys. Now they come out w/their own phones and Motorola etc... gets in on it w/them. Money sure does talk, and Google is making a lot of people listen and not listen as well. Business as usual. Never personal.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Speaking of the iPhone:

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

Google spent $100m in defending the $1b Viacom lawsuit that never even went to trial, Google's CFO Patrick Pichette revealed. It's unknown how much Viacom spent for its part of the lawsuit.

More:

How much did Google spend to fend off Viacom's $1 billion copyright lawsuit? On today's earnings call, CFO Patrick Pichette revealed that Google's legal bills for the case amounted to $100 million, and that was before it went to trial. The legal bill could have ended up being many times that amount, but last month the judge threw out the case, and Google declared victory. Viacom will reportedly try to appeal, but the summary judgement was pretty harsh. As I wrote at the time:

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

I wonder if there was even a remote chance that anything uploaded/downloaded reached even that. Like you said a small victory for the Net in general, though a cost to the participants which to them is a drop in the bucket.

100 million is 100 million though.

Comment

Working...