X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Opinion: Nokia Going With Windows Phone Makes Sense

Nokia and Microsoft recently announced that Nokia, the world's biggest maker of mobile phone, will ditch its in-house Symbian phone operating system in favour of producing phones that use Microsoft's Windows Phone operating system (although not the current version, but an upcoming version that will be released later in the year).

Commentators have long thought that Nokia needed to change directions in the increasingly competitive smartphone market, after recent sales results revealed Google's Android and Apple's iOS making strong headway in to the market once completely dominated by Nokia's Symbian. In fact, Android phones outsold Symbian phones for the first time in the last quarter of 2010.

However, many are asking the obvious question - why didn't Nokia go with Android? Google has since stated that it would have loved to work with Nokia. Or why there needed to be any alliance at all, when Nokia's experience and market share means they can still develop their own phone OS?

But there are very good reason in Nokia's decision to favour Microsoft.

First of all, it will be fairly clear that the world most popular phone operating system will be Android, given current trends. Nokia going with Android may mean the once dominant phone company may get lost in the crowd of Android manufacturers, a list which is growing larger everyday. And having started so late, it is already behind companies such as HTC, Motorola or Samsung when it comes to getting the best out of Google's phone OS.

But by going with Windows Phone OS, the underdog at the moment, Nokia can use its might to carve out its own market space and be on more even footing with the other Windows Phone manufacturers, most of which also produce Android phones. And with Nokia clearly Microsoft's biggest customer, the Redmond based software company will be much more flexible to adhere to Nokia's input (and demands) on all aspects of design.

It's a great move for Microsoft as well, as it gives them instant market share as opposed to having to compete with both Android and iOS for customers.

The only problem is that the first Nokia Windows Phone won't be out until 2012 at the latest, and this gives other both Google and other Windows Phone manufacturers to cement their market share. Nokia will still be producing Symbian and MeeGo devices until their first Windows Phone comes out.

And don't pay too much attention to the "Nokia Plan B" stories, about the revolt of a group of nine shareholders - it probably was just a hoax, or at least a very half-hearted revolt.

Related links:

Last edited by admin; 17 Feb 2011, 06:42 PM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

I'm leaning toward getting myself a better cell phone, and the Windows Phone caught my attention after some research and reviews. Nokia has always made durable cell phones;they were always recommended to me as one which takes a licking and keeps on ticking, as Timex still stands by, and for good reason.

Now this news almost definitely locks me in, and by the release date rates, prices and flexibility regarding usage and carriers will have become better. As a casual software/technical user it would prolly be the right cell phone for me personally.

MS isn't sleeping nor standing by fiddling their fingers as was the case pre-Vista until now more or less. With Kinect literally destroying everyone right now, and the PC Kinect somewhere close by, I see no reason why the Windows Phone won't be better and a nice success story to add to Windows 7, Kinect etc... Keep us posted on any newer developments until D-Day. If my budget permits I'll pull the trigger. Most importantly would be the monthly damage it'll demand. The cost of the cell is a mood point to an extent, compared to maintaning it.

Plus I will admit I like sticking it to Apple groupies. Uncle Bill might be in Africa somewhere, but his ears are still here, just a phone call away.

Uncle Bill is back big time!
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

It seems Microsoft is paying Nokia $1b for the phone manufacturer to switch to Windows Phone. A good deal for both I think, since $1b is nothing for Microsoft in terms of promotional budget (they spent $500m on Kinect/X360 marketing alone just recently), and Nokia gets paid to do something they should have done ages ago, and will give their phones a better OS to boot.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎