• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Windows Updates are they really needed?

The last set of updates posted on the 10th or so made my thumbnail preview windows disappear. I couldn't find a way on the web or on my 7 64 bit Home to bring it back. The web just offered an ease of use function w/the mouse. Now this makes me think if any of these so called critical etc... updates are really needed, and if they're just nonsense to begin with?

If it was XP I would not have been glad to use System Restore as after some experience I chucked it completely w/a custom nlite install. However with 7 I had to just now to revert back to normal!

Now will any of you guys please post your best suggested take on installing/not installing Windows Updates and if any which ones? Thnx.

One of the sites that prolly got knocked off because of all this Piracy stuff had a very good thread on Windows Updates and what each update did or didn't do as far as creating issues. They tested each one and posted results. I stopped going there because I think my isp blocked it or the powers that be. No it wasn't a total torrent site. It had very useful/helpful computer tips as well.

Anyway I'm holding off until I get some voice of reason on this, as I just saw my Updates Notifier pop up. Thnx again.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

You can only solve an equation with one variable. If you are going to put on updates I suggest doing them one at a time and seeing the result. I don't know which are good and which are bad. If I have a serious problem(like the Vista explorer "calculating time to copy" bug,) then I look for a fix. But it doesn't seem logical to me to pile fixes on before you verify the one you installed yesterday doesn't have any side effects. Proceed with caution.

The exception I would make is if I have an OS I want to bring up to speed in one shot and I have image backups I can put on if it gets totally hosed. By the time you tried 200 fixes one at a time the OS would be obsolete. All I can suggest is have ways to undo damage. Use your best guess.

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Thnx Miles as always. I should of just asked if Windows Updates were bs. Then again MS would really need to do something w/their spare time. I installed 1 at a time and created my own restore points even though 7 does it for you.
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

Working...