X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD: Scam of the year?

Maybe you already know all the things I’ve written above, but I think it’s necessary to show just how insignificant the new formats actually are. Blu-ray and HD-DVD are as much a revolution as Video-CD was compared to VHS. They’re an evolution at most but of course that’s not something the companies pushing the formats want you to realise.
    While I agree that Blu-ray and HD DVD are more of an evolution than revolution, I don't agree with the VCD to VHS comparison. VCD is not an evolution of VHS, and VCD was barely even a format since nobody really supported it except for Philips and Warner Bros - it's the same with SVCD.

In effect, the only thing Blu-ray disc and HD-DVD offer more at first glimpse is additional storage space. So, in theory publishers could use the additional storage to deliver better image and sound quality (less compression, different encoding) as well as more extras. Very nice, but what about the reality?

Instead of filling a DVD to the very last bit (which would suggest we need a new format with more storage capacity), we often see that publishers just don’t seem to care much. Low budget releases often have high compression ratios and no extras, leaving hundreds of MB’s on the DVD unused. So if a DVD isn’t already used to its full potential, why in hell would we need a new format that has even more storage space? The answer: we don’t. Not for movies at least.
    While I agree that DVDs, particular dual layer DVDs, can be used more efficiently by switching from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 AVC, this is the only way in which HD content can be stored on DVDs. And with this switch, you will still need to buy a new DVD player, even though the discs can be read, but the MPEG-4 AVC stream cannot be decoded. So for HD content, Blu-ray and HD DVD is a must ... but the question is do we need HD? Probably not as urgently as the Blu-ray/HD DVD people like you to think, but SD will be phased out eventually, both in terms of content and hardware.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
Working...