X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Warner: HD DVD/Blu-ray Hybrid Disc "On Hold For Now"

Last we heard, Warner's "Total HD" hybrid disc was due in early 2008, but now the studio says it's on hold, with no release date currently in sight.

The studio shook things up at CES this past January when it announced that it would introduce a new HD DVD/Blu-ray hybrid disc by mid 2007. A single disc capable of being played on both Blu-ray and HD DVD players seemed to offer a compelling (if inefficient) short term solution for the format war, and appeared to be the anchor of Warner's dual-format stance throughout much of the year.
    'High-Def Digest is your ultimate source for everything 4K, Ultra HD, Blu-ray Disc, Streaming, and Home Theater products. News and in-depth reviews published daily!'

Not too surprised. I don't think there is a need for dual-format discs, considering most people only have one type of player. This means that you end up paying more for the movie in a format that you don't need. I don't like HD DVD/DVD combo discs either, but at the very least, they allow you to playback the movie in your bedroom or somewhere that does not have an HD DVD player.

What we need now are dual format players.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
Working...