X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Blu-ray's market share has almost doubled since HD DVD's demise

Lets start with Blu-ray market share, and for a second we'll ignore the reasons why it isn't a fair comparison (as outlined above). The very first week the data was made public, the share was 6 percent, or about 2 percent lower than it was last week. So even if you ignore everything else, there is still a pitiful 2 percent increase over six months. But numbers don't tell the whole story because the week of March 23rd was the week I Am Legend was released. This title outsold every other Blu-ray title by almost five to one at the time, and broke every record we had seen to date. So it isn't too much of a stretch to guess that market share was doubled that week when compared to the week before. So comparing the current week with this one is like picking the lowest number of the month and comparing it to the highest; any way you shake it, it's not a fair comparison. Although it isn't much better, lets compare it to the week of September 7th, when Transformers (an old hat to HD DVD and DVD) was released on Blu-ray. This week Blu-ray's market share was 12 percent, this puts the share at double what it was that same week of March 23rd we used earlier.

-- snip --

Looking over this list, it's nearly impossible to see much of a pattern, but one thing is for sure: Blu-ray market share per title is not down, and totally dependent on how popular the title was to the Blu-ray demographic. If you were to go back and look for day-and-date titles that didn't sell as well on Blu-ray, you'd see that some titles like Baby Mama only managed 2 percent.

Not sure that their conclusion that Blu-ray sales has doubled makes sense, since they only compared 2 different weeks with different releases: I Am Legend versus Transformers. The latter being released on Blu-ray only in a week that didn't have any major DVD releases, while the other was released simultaneously on DVD, so the Blu-ray percentage would have been down due to this fact alone (not sure if any other major DVD releases occured during the week I Am Legend was released).

But the second part of their article is correct in that Blu-ray sales are much more related to what titles are released for that week. The 2% for titles like Baby Mama is exactly the problem for Blu-ray at the moment, because this is where most DVD sales come from (the hundreds of misc titles being released or reduced in price every week, versus the 1 or 2 hit titles). There are only about a dozen "hit" releases in a year anyway, and if Blu-ray is to survive, it cannot rely on early adopters (and PS3 fans) to only buy these titles and not titles like Baby Mama.
    Last edited by admin; 26 Sep 2008, 02:32 PM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
Working...