X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Why Hollywood Hates RealDVD

It's not about piracy. After all, those who want to copy DVDs have plenty of free, widely available, easy-to-use software to choose from. And those who want to skip the tedium of DVD ripping altogether can easily download movies from unauthorized sources like The Pirate Bay. In short, Hollywood can't possibly believe that the $30, DRM-hobbled RealDVD software represents a piracy threat in an environment rife with easier options.

So why unleash all the expensive lawyers to kill RealDVD? Answer: to send a message about what happens to those who innovate without permission in a post-DMCA world.
    Why does Hollywood hate RealDVD so much? Here's a hint: it has nothing to do with piracy and everything to do with controlling innovation.Earlier this week, a district court in San Francisco extended the temporary restraining order (TRO) blocking RealNetworks' distribution of its RealDVD software,...

This is something I hinted to in my blog post on this story. DRM is more about licensing money than actual piracy preventing.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
Working...