X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

White House Pushes Forward With New Anti-Piracy Initiatives

The U.S. Copyright Czar, Victoria Espinel, has released a new report that urges for an expansion of voluntary industry standards such as the controversial six-strikes program.

The report also called for anti-piracy technologies and measures to keep up with new emerging technologies, such as 3D printing.

While the report lauds the U.S. government's achievements from actions such as Operation In Our Sites and the Megaupload raid, it also carefully chose to praise industry led efforts such as the ISP six-strikes program and new best practices guidelines agreed to by payment providers such as American Express, Discover, MasterCard, PayPal, and Visa.

"Together with law enforcement efforts, private sector voluntary actions can dramatically reduce online infringement and change the enforcement paradigm," the report states.

The report also called for further scrutiny on future innovations with respect to copyright. "As we move forward, we are aware that new technologies, evolving social norms, new business models, and novel global distribution mechanisms will present new challenges and opportunities to combat infringement of American intellectual property rights. Among these trends and innovations are increases in the power and prevalence of cloud computing, mobile computing, data storage, database management, information security, increased interoperability, and 3D printing," the report warned.

The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), the film industry's key trade and copyright lobby, welcomed the new report. MPAA Chairman and former Democractic Senator Chris Dodd vowed to work hand in hand with the White House to meet future IP challanges.

"We share with this Administration a commitment to promoting and protecting American intellectual property by opening new markets to US products, educating the public about both the value of IP industries and the damage done by theft from those industries and encouraging voluntary best practices among private sector companies that have key responsibilities in the internet landscape," said Dodd.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Because seriously, these people are insane. They need to focus on making content accessible to everyone and not punishing people from doing what's necessary. There are lots of old TV series that have never been released on DVD or digitally at all so my only option is to download old TV rips of them.

If they just released a box-set I'd gladly pay for it. I'm looking at you, Disney. Give me those shows I watched during my youth already.

Something like Netflix is a good start, but the fact that they have like zero good movies and their TV shows are really outdated makes me not want to pay for it. The sad truth is that it's more convenient to just download rips of movies than try to find them legally, and that's why most people do it. These six-strike programs are absurd.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Netflix is great for me as they have the movies and TV shows that I probably never wanted to buy anyway - and I think a lot of people pirate something because they don't think it's worth a purchase, but still want to check it out. This way, the studios get some money back from piracy via Netflix, and everyone is happy.

For example, while browsing Netflix, I saw that crappy 2011 Conan remake was available. It got my attention because I remember the news story from a while back where the studio behind this flop sued people for downloading it. Had these people known it was going to be on Netflix, they probably wouldn't have bothered downloading it illegally.

They need to make a version of Netflix with all the new movies and TV shows and people do actually want to watch, a Netflix Plus or something. I'd be willing to pay $30-50 a month for something like this.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

I haven't seen a single movie from the 90s or newer on Netflix. There have only been like two movies total that I've seen on there that looked even remotely interesting, some 80s classics - and even then, nothing like Back to the Future or The Terminator.

Additionally they have the Land Before Time sequels but not the original.

Netflix just isn't worth paying for in my opinion, I'd much rather just watch the movies on TV since my cable give me Starz, Encore, and the movie channel on-demand stuff for free.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
          I haven't seen a single movie from the 90s or newer on Netflix. There have only been like two movies total that I've seen on there that looked even remotely interesting, some 80s classics - and even then, nothing like Back to the Future or The Terminator.

Additionally they have the Land Before Time sequels but not the original.

Netflix just isn't worth paying for in my opinion, I'd much rather just watch the movies on TV since my cable give me Starz, Encore, and the movie channel on-demand stuff for free.
          You should try instantwatcher to quickly find movies that are good to watch, as you can search by year/rating quite easily.

Here's a couple of recent (post 2011) movies that I wouldn't have bought, but quite enjoyed on Netflix in no particular order:

End of Watch
          The Cabin in the Woods
          13 Assassins
          Act of Valor
          Safety Not Guaranteed
          Ip Man & Ip Man 2
          Monsters
          Jiro Dreams of Sushi
          Senna

I've mostly been catching up on TV shows like HIMYM, and Sons of Anarchy.

I agree that there are tons of movies missing from their library, most of them probably not even selling that much on disc anyway so they should in on Netflix. But you'd have to blame greedy studios for that.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

Yeah, that's not my type of movie

I was pleased to see The Avengers on Netflix, as I actually didn't think they had it. But nonetheless, none of the other superhero films I'm into are on there - Iron Man, Batman, Captain America, Thor, so on and so forth, they aren't on Netflix.

Nor are most of the 90s and newer action movies I'm into, such as Independence Day, my all-time favorite.

The fact of the matter is that it's easier for me to just obtain those movies elsewhere than try to struggle through Netflix.
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
              Yeah, that's not my type of movie

I was pleased to see The Avengers on Netflix, as I actually didn't think they had it. But nonetheless, none of the other superhero films I'm into are on there - Iron Man, Batman, Captain America, Thor, so on and so forth, they aren't on Netflix.

Nor are most of the 90s and newer action movies I'm into, such as Independence Day, my all-time favorite.

The fact of the matter is that it's easier for me to just obtain those movies elsewhere than try to struggle through Netflix.
              I think Thor and Captain America are both on Netflix now, not the Iron Man films though.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                NOT an online superstore
                • Oct 2005

Either way, this seems relevant:
                Old but still awesome. - Imgur
                CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2001

Forgot to add that the US version of Netflix seems to be missing a lot of stuff that's on Netflix from other countries, and the opposite is true. Eg. Goodfellas is only available in some of the European flavors of Netflix (and Mexico and Brazil), but not in the US.

In fact, going through the IMDb top 250, a lot of the films are available on non-US Netflix:

IMDb Top 250 - Moreflicks.com

I'm guessing this is Hollywood flexing its muscles in the all important US market, and being more relaxed in the non critical overseas markets where these films probably don't sell in great numbers on DVD/Blu-ray anyway.

I'm getting Netflix from Australia, so I'm using Unblock-us already, and one handy feature is the ability to easily switch your Netflix region.

Comment

Working...