Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Datawatch99
    • Sep 2004

recover 4+Gig files from DVD?

First, I admit it, I screwed up. I was trying to back up some divx enoded home movies and tv-rips, and thought to myself... "self, I bet this would be great if I zipped up 4.25 gigs worth of divx movies and dropped them on a DVD-R for archive purposes." There were so many little files in different directories that I wanted them all in one file that I could drag and drop from the backup disk if it came to that.

That means it was one big 4.25 Gig zip file that Nero said 'completed successfully'. I poped the disk out, made one more copy to keep at a friends house, to make sure I had all bases covered.

Now, 6 months later, after a crash of the source hard drive, when I try to read the DVD, I see my zip file, but its only 256 Megs. If I look at the track on the disk with ISO buster or Nero, or Roxio, or Alcohol120, it shows the track as being 4.25 gigs. I used each of these programs to read the track from the DVD-R to my hard drive, and it shows up as a 4.25 Gig ISO (or MDS, etc....), but after I mount the image file, I am back to seeing only a 256 Meg zip file, which winzip reports as being corrupt.

After doing some research online, I now realize that you cannot burn a single file that is 4 gig or larger to a recordable DVD. I wish Nero would have mentioned this before burning and telling me it completed successfully

Anyway, I know my hopes of recovering my movies are slim to none, but if ANYone can think of a way to recover this 4.25 Gig file, chime in please. The 'movies' are not commercial movies, but captures from my TV tuner card of people I know on local news broadcasts, as well as some home movies of my family at the last family reunion (some of whom have since passed on). So, its important to me to try anything at all to recover them. I sent back the source hard drive months ago for warranty, thinking I had a solid back up of the important stuff.
Working...