X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Question about 4:3 DVDs and automatic zooming

Alright, so, my friend brought this to my attention. He has a Samsung 16:9 HDTV, and uses a Sony Blu-Ray player hooked up with HDMI. He has a DVD, of the movie Scream, that isn't anamorphic - it's 4:3 and letterboxed. When playing it on my computer or PS3, you can clearly see the 4:3 frame and the large letterboxes. But yet, when played on his Blu-Ray player, it automatically zooms in to make it seems as if it's anamorphic.

I took a look at the DVD using PgcEdit, and the domain streams attributes were just 4:3, the "Source material is letterboxed" flag is unchecked. When I was at his house, we tried some other movies as well, and both Disney's studios (Hollywood pictures, whatever) and FOX titles would automatically zoom in - aside from Scream his player did the automatic zooming with True Lies and The Abyss, both FOX titles. However, Mission: Impossible, which is a Paramount title, showed up gutter-boxed on his TV.

So, I'm just curious, what is causing this automatic zooming? I can confirm that it's not his TV, as pressing "info" still showed the complete info screen and nothing was cut off. However, I was unable to find any sort of setting that tells it to automatically zoom in titles like this, in fact, I don't know how to turn it off - because when it zooms in, the subtitles get cut off and become unreadable.

So I'm just curious if anyone has any idea what's up with this. I have the IFO files from the Scream DVD if anyone wants to take a look and see if there's any sort of info that would tell the player to automatically zoom in.

Thanks
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection
Working...