Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Toni-Lynn
    • Jan 2004

DVD+R Playback problems on PCs

I just bought a Polaroid DVR-0900 DVD recorder (Best Buy US$331). For the most part its okay however I've noticed something weird when I attempt to play any DVDs that I've created with it on a PC.

This unit uses DVD+R/ DVD+RW media. I have used 3 brands: Fujifilm +Rs and +RWs, Maxell +Rs, and HP +RWs (recommended in the owners manual). Regardless of the software used for playback on a PC (WMP 9, WinDVD, Mediamatics, RealPlayer) the playback freezes at 29 minutes 1 second.

About the recordings: all were made at the 120 minute 'speed'. In the case of the +R discs they have been finalised. Some of had only 1 title on them, some have had several titles. Chapter marks were set every 5 minutes.

About the playback: Tried 3 different PCs (2 laptops, 1 desktop) all running WinXP Pro. All disks play fine on not only the recording unit, but also on regular DVD players (2 tested), as well as a PS/2.

Regular (commercially made) DVDs play fine on these 3 PCs. I have tested a Verbatim DVD+R that was made for me about 4 months ago by someone else, and it, too, plays fine

One odd thing that I notice is that the DVD+R/+RWs made by the DVD-0900 shows an incorrect title structure when played in WMP 9 (and other players). Regardless of the number of titles recorded, every disc shows at least 8 titles. So if I record 3 titles, clicking in either title 1, or the (ghost/ incorrect) title 6 plays title 1.

So, is it the recorder, is it the media, is it the PC. Any advice appreciated.

TIA

Toni-Lynn
Working...