Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lureman
    • Apr 2006

Recent playback problem on DRU-510a

I have been using a Sony DRU-510 as my main burner/player for years. Originally, I had it internally mounted replacing a Sony DVD-ROM (in a home built system). 1 and 3/4 years ago I bought an Alienware Aurora and was so happy with my 510, that I removed it from the old system and put it in in an Belkin external enclosure.

Since then, it's been turnin' & burnin' like the champ it always was. I've burned numerous DVDs & CDs and watched an innumerable amount of DVDs on it. I've also done a lot of capping. I have never (until now) had a problem, and was more than happy with it. It seemed rock solid.

For the past month+, I keep running into the same infrequent problem. It doesn't want to play certain DVDs. It will play others fine, and I've had no problems burning. And the funny thing is, it is specific DVDs it won't play. I bought Season 3 of 24 and Disk 1 wouldn't play. All the others played as they should. I returned the box set and got another. Again, Disk 1 won't play, while the others will. I can play other DVDs, as well. Except, Serenity; it played fine the first time I bought it and 2 or 3 times after that. Now, the 510 doesn't recognize it. It plays fine everywhere else (even an internal DVD-ROM on the same system), but not on the 510. I have returned several NetFlix rentals as unplayable, becuase I thought the massive amounts of surface scratches were the problem. The same movie (from NetFlix) on a different disk will play.

What happens, when it acts up is: it spins up the disk, the activity LED lights, and it keeps trying to read the disk. I can even hear a barely audible clicking noise coming from it, on the disks it doesn't like. It will continue trying to read for several minutes before it quits out. In My Computer, the DVD drive is still there, but indicates no disk. If I try to open or explore the drive, I get the No Disk In Drive error. If I try to run PowerDVD, it returns the same type of error.

Again, it doesn't do this on all DVDs, just very specific ones (e.g.: Disk 1 of 24 S3). The rest play as they should. And, I can still burn DVDs & CDs, using various media brands and formats. So, I don't think it is a laser problem. I could be wrong, I am a noob afterall. Still, I would think if it is a laser problem it would be more frequent, and wouldn't be only on specific DVD playbacks.

Any assisstance would be greatly appreciated.
Working...