Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommyent
    • Jan 2008

Please help

Hello this is my first time here the forum looks great I am a stay at home dad looking to start into video for a hobby. I will most likely start with filming the family spending alot of time editing them to make them actually watchable videos. I would eventually like to start doing some shorts (not for the internet well ie:youtube). I was going to be using Vegas video for editing a friend had given me a copy awhile back not sure if it supports the format but I was thinking I could upgrade cheaper than buying another program somewhat descent. I really can't decide but I think I have narrowed it down, well here they are :

Sony Handycam HDR-SR12

actually probably the hdr-s11 I don't think I need the storage that comes with the 12 I don't like the hard drive aspect and not really a fan of the overpriced memory sticks but love the thought of 10 mega pixel stills. I just have never been sure about Sony I have not bought anything Sony in a very long time. This one does do hd and sd views. Which would help for me because the computer I have right now will probably not edit HD. I was planning on editing on a double 3.0gig dual core server i have.

Canon Vixia HF100

I think the HF10 is a stupid idea with the 16gb internal that will be out dated in no time. I have always had luck with Canon, the still pictures are I think 2.7 mega pixel which you can do that with a damn cell phone for Gods sake. I did want to buy a slr at some point though anyway. I have not been able to find this but I had heard on AOTS that you would not be able to transfer the video off the camera to a pc in full high definition. Not sure why or if it is true anyone know?

Panasonic HDC-SD9

Now this one I know nothing about Panasonic camcorders the price is awesome about $799 I think. It is 1080p uses sdhc and is priced really well. Not really sure if the 3 ccd on this one is a good thing or a bad thing can not get a straight answer from anywhere.

Really what I am looking for is the best possible picture, really good image stability and extreme flexibility in editing without losing quality. I know I should probably be doing dv instead of hdd or sdhc for quality but I really hate having the mini dvs. The biggest thing is transferring the footage from the camera to PC. I never had good luck with the tapes and recording over them. How much of a difference from hdv will these be? Also I would like to do audio externally I think I never liked how the audio comes out on camcorder mics what is the best way to do this? I know the Sony and Canon have mic jacks you do have to use there microphones though. Should I focus on editing in a different way from what I hear you need a major PC to edit HD anyway. If there is something under $1400 that would be better I am open to suggestions right now the most expensive one I have picked is $1099. I was initially looking at the GL1 but have not been able to find one for under $2000 but I was still wondering how these would compare to the GL1. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

I also was just looking at the jvc Everio GZ-HD7 which I read somewhere that it does 1400cbr which has a bit rate of 30mbps

One last question I would probably be compressing the video anyway because I store everything on hard drives for the most part anyway. So is the compression of avchd really a issue in my case since I would compress a hdv after editing anyway?

Thanks again

Working...