Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pjanak
    • Nov 2001

Simple way to beat Macrovision

If you want to record your DVD to VHS. The simple way to do it without having to install clunky software etc is to but TBC(Time Base Corrector(a.k.a. procamp) You can buy Hardware TBC's starting at $100.
    Connect the TBS in the middle of the path between the DVD and the VCR. BAsically this is why it works:

your VCR controls all of the video information via a pulse signal that basically looks like "-------". Thast also "basically" whats in the DVD player too. When the MAcrovision detects a record device in the path the Macrovision disrupts the pulse signal to look something like "-- - --- - -- - ---" At the places where there is no pulse data the video signal because darker and or discolored.

And sometimes it even sounds like the audio level dips(my experience).

The TBC corrects the video signal from sync to color adjustment. All you have to do is hook it and no more MAcrovision troubles. Video Post houses do it all the time. There are crappy TBC's and there are good ones. I saw an internat add for the TBC I mentioned above but I cannot recall who made it.

But if you capture video to your hard drive you also have a readily available way to do it if it has anlog or s-video ports. Your capture card may have a built in proc amp(TBC). This is what I do at home:

I have a DVD hardware decoder card with a S-video out. I plug the cable to the S-video out. Then I plug the other end into my capture card. I take a second s-video caple go from my cap cards s-video out to my vcr. I open my video editing software(I have premiere) . I open the capture window. Open the proc amp and make sure its set to pass the video through and I adjust the proc amp iof needed. Then I just start record on the VCR. Thast it. completely macrovision free video.
    Pete Janak
Working...