Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jschaap
    • Oct 2002

Delayed audio on PC-DVD playback

I am at my wits end.... if anyone can offer any advice concerning this situation it would be greatly appreciated.

I am attemting to play back a DVD on fairly robust system. However, no matter what software I use the audio is slightly delayed behind the video. I have tried everything I can think of to fix it but to no avail.

My system is a Dell Optiplex Pentium III 933 mhz, with 512 MB RAM running under Windows 98 SE. The only curve ball is that it is a dual display system. This is necessary because we (my place of employment) need to play the DVD full screen on the secondary display (which goes out to a video projector) and control it from
    he primary monitor. There are several reasons for this that I won't bore you with.

I am using a dual-head ATI Radeon 7500 AGP video card with 64 MB of RAM, a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 (I've also tried a Sound Blaster Audigy), and the Creative 16x PC-DVD drive. I've used several DVD software players including ATI's latest, WinDVD and PowerDVD. All of them playback with delayed audio.

Originally I thought it was a problem with the Audigy card I was using. In troubleshooting it with Creative Labs they told me to get the Audigy on IRQ 5 by itself. I did, but it had no effect on the problem. When I called them back they basically threw up their hands and said that it MUST be the playback software and that was all they could offer (argggh!). The SB Live 5.1 has the same issues.

It doesn't seem to matter what audio mode I use choose either... Stereo, Dolby 5.1, SPDIF all work, but are all delayed. I admit that it is slight but it is perceptible.

Likewise, I have the same problem playing the video on the primary or secondary display.

This is an issue because the main function of this system is to play back DVD movies for public viewing (we purchase public performance rights to legally do so). So you can understand why we are concerned that the playback be flawless.

Again, if anyone has any insights I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S. I DO have the DMA enabled for the DVD-ROM.
Working...