Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Intraligi
    • Apr 2002

Progressive signals?

I have a couple of questions that nobody seems to be able to answer. I was told that this is the best forum for digital video questions to be answered. I hope someone can help.

My PC is the focal point of my home theater solution. My television is HDTV ready and supports 480p/1080i signals. I currently use a RealMajic Hollywood card to power my DVD solution. The new RealMajic Xcard (next generation Hollywood card) will do progressive scanning of DVD signals to 480p - I don't want to buy this if I don't have to.

However, I am interested in purchasing the Radeon 8500 128MB video card. I understand from ATI's literature that the Radeon 8500 has component output support for HDTV at 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. Here are my questions (with respect to the Radeon 8500): Do I need to be using a progressive scan DVD player in order to take advantage of this feature? If not, will I require a specific software solution or does the card do the progressive scanning? If the card does the progressive scanning how will I know what output it is transmitting at (i.e. 480p vs. 480i)?

I've called ATI's technical support and their response to my query was "Those are good questions!"

I have also sent an e-mail to their Developer Relations group. If they get back to me with a response I will post it.

Thanks for your help.

Peter
Working...