X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flailingsquid
    • Dec 2006

Digital camcorder upload problems

Hello, i'm new to this forum, and i'm here with a problem, let me explain:

I recently bought a DCR-HC36 Sony digital "handycam"/camcorder. It works really well, however, I recently recorded an 8 minute video on it, and attempted to upload it to my computer via USB port. The software it came with is "Picture Package", wherein an application opens accessing the cameras "play mode" and plays the content through the computer whilst I click the record button etc.

Anyway, once it gets onto the PC, it saves it as a .avi file, this 8 minute video ran up to 3.3 gigabytes. Now I mainly got this camcorder for YouTube videos and videos I could send to family and friends online, i'm sure all of you know 3.3 gigabytes is way too much to be sent anywhere.

I have used windows movie maker to do a similiar thing that picture package does, however, the picture darkens, and after 6 min or so, the playback in the windows movie maker "capture preview" gets choppy.

Am I doing something wrong? I called sony tech support, and they recommend VGA mode, but told me my model didn't come with it. They recommended that I change my recording mode from SP to LP, I did that, and even reduced the video quality by half on Picture Package, still it hasn't reduced the massive memory hogging.

Even moreso, I have used Xilisoft video converter and have attempted to convert the .avi file to both mpeg-2 and .wmv, the mpeg-2 version was a black screen with just audio. The .wmv conversion had a successful reduction in space taking (from 1.4 gigabytes it became 22 mb) however, the quality was reduced to greenish and red lines as well and a distortion beyond recognition on said saved clip.

Is there some type of video editing software I need to acquire in order to save the files off the camcorder in something other than .avi files? Tech support told me "thats just the way it is" because of the good quality of digital cameras taking up space. But i'm sure YouTube members have recorded with their digital cameras and uploaded it to YouTube (where the max upload is 100 mb).

Im sorry for rambling on, and if you read this far I thank you already, but i'd appreciate any help or advice on this.

Thanks
    Last edited by flailingsquid; 17 Dec 2006, 09:37 AM.
Working...