X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disc_man
    Wagonwheel
    • May 2008

what DVD format does Lenovo Laptops support generally

I am confused whether I should buy a Lenovo or Dell, does the DVD Rom support both Blu ray and HD dvd format?
    I have movies and DVDs in both formats so I need a combo drive for that.
    Need Information.
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

call support or check website, otherwise u can only get blueray drive now, and thats if u buy/upgrade to it, usually they aren't default.
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
      It Was The Dog, I Swear!
      • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by disc_man
      I am confused whether I should buy a Lenovo or Dell, does the DVD Rom support both Blu ray and HD dvd format?
      I have movies and DVDs in both formats so I need a combo drive for that.
      Need Information.
      You need BD-ROM (blu ray disk read-only memory)to read Blu ray. or a BD-RW drive. DVD-ROM does not read blu ray OR HD-DVD. to read those disks requires a different laser. a BLUE laser. Hence the name. If you get a BD-ROM I believe they can read standard DVD's as well as Blu ray. I don't think a BD-ROM can read HD-DVD though. You'll have to pick one. Since Blu ray won the format war, the choice is obvious. your HD-DVD's are now all but useless relics. Same thing that happened to Betamax tapes.
      My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• atifsh
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2003

your HD-DVD's are now all but useless relics
        not exactly, u can still play them on ur pc and or on stand alone hd-dvd players if u have one, they are dead cheap these days.

Comment

• DrinkOrDie
          It Was The Dog, I Swear!
          • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by atifsh
          not exactly, u can still play them on ur pc and or on stand alone hd-dvd players if u have one, they are dead cheap these days.
          I guess what I really meant was, this is like deja vu. Sure, they are dirt cheap these days. Reminds me of the days when betamax lost to VHS. Beta Players got dirt cheap, beta cassettes got dirt cheap, but no new releases in the beta format, and when your player quit, that's it. You're done. And you certainly couldn't play your beta tapes in a VHS player, so they go in the trash.

Still, if you get a PC with a BD-ROM, your HD-DVD disks are useless. If you get a PC with a drive that can read HD-DVD's, it's only good for watching HD-DVD's.

It's probably best that discman gets a BD-ROM so he can watch all the new releases on Blu ray, and leave the HD-DVD's to the player he has now that will play them. When the HD-DVD player quits, then use the HD-DVD's as a high-tech coaster.

After that, enjoy all the new Blu ray releases on his new Blu ray drive (or player)
          My toy:

Custom Build PC Born on 03-08-08AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ (3.21Ghz) (Black Edition) on overclock ready Asus M2R32-MVP Crossfire AMD chipset Mobo, 8-Channel HD Audio, Windows XP MCE, 2GB 800Mhz DDR2, 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 500GB SATA-II HardDisks X 4 in RAID 4 mode,(1.5 TB storage capacity + 500GB eSata external) Sony MultiRec DVD-RW, PCI-HDTV Tuner, SOYO Topaz S 24" Wide LCD 1920X1200

Comment

• ceaser
            • May 2008

Yes nice discussion is going here and thanks to all for providing this much good information.

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!

Comment

• atifsh
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2003

true blueray is the future, still sometime till HD takes over completely, if one has big collection of SD dvd's that HD-dvd player will play them fine. remember most of those hd-dvd players can do HD upconversions.

Comment

Working...