Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • turet
    • Dec 2003

How to Capture, Now Have Vista?

Before Vista, I used VS7 to capture videos/TV shows as AVI, then encoded to MPG2 using TMPGenc, then edited using DVD Author. I was under the impression that going to AVI and then using a good encoder would result in the best quality. (Since my videos aren't great quality, even when recorded using SP, I'm all about the quality.) But my old trusty VS7 doesn't work with Vista.

I've been using the Canopus ADVC-100, which seems great. The only software I have now that captures is Nero. But if I don't compress for AVI, I don't have HD space for a two-hour TV show. I know Nero offers a few codecs for video and audio and I'm not sure which ones to use. How much do they compress? Do they still retain quality?

I've been going directly to Mpeg2 using Nero but it's super compressed and the quality isn't good enough. Nero doesn't allow me to alter the compression rate except with a slider bar and I've already moved that to the best quality position. Even so, a 2 hour movie only takes up about half a DVD. In the past, using other capture products/software, a two-hour movie was too large a file for a DVD, but after editing out commercials and with just a tad of compression (in those days I used DVD Shrink, but now TMPGE DVD Author compresses to fit), it was just right. So I know the current quality settings aren't good. The resulting DVD is worse than the video it came from.

Can I get Nero to generate enough quality for me? Should I be using AVI and one of the compression codecs? Which one? There are about 5 listed. I found other articles on the web and it seems like there are problems with many of these playing back. Since I'd import into TMPGenc anyway, the playbackableness might not be an issue, but which AVI scheme would that software accept?

Or is there other software that will work with Vista and give me better capture settings? Preferably something cheap. I don't want to buy another authoring/editing software as I'm used to DVD Author and I'm happy with it.

Thanks!
Working...