X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AvusBlue
    • Dec 2001

Replace Thumbnail in WMV File

Hi,

I have a small number of WMV video files that I have legally downloaded and they are not DRM/copy-protected (I'm a paying member of the site). The files all play fine but in many cases the thumbnail is simply black, like the first frame of the video file when played with Windows Media Player 11. I should note that the thumbnails are black when originally downloaded so refreshing the folder does not work. I want to replace the thumbnail with another image.

I think that I need some kind of video capture program, like FrameShots 3.0 (that link is not an endorsement, just an example) but since only 30 or so files are affected I would love to find a freeware program. Any ideas?

Thank you.
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

Media Player Classic can produce thumbnails.
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• AvusBlue
      • Dec 2001

Really?! And I have MPC too but only use it for a few Real Audio files (with Real Alternative). If I produce a thumbnail with MPC would I have to use it to play the videos? It's not that big of a deal but I'm just used to WMP 11.

Thank you for the info., btw.

Comment

• AvusBlue
        • Dec 2001

I have just downloaded v6.4.9.1 (revision 55) of Media Player Classic. Should I click Same Image or Save Thumbnails from the File menu? I assume that I should pause playback of the movie when I have found the frame that I want to use as a thumbnail, correct?

After I have paused the movie and saved the image as a .jpg file how can I change the thumbnail on the movie that is black?
        Last edited by AvusBlue; 9 Jul 2008, 12:00 PM. Reason: fixed the problem meself - almost

Comment

• paglamon
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

Open the folder containing your video. Then View/Customize this folder/Folder Picture/Choose.
          sigpic

Comment

• AvusBlue
            • Dec 2001

Here is my workaround for this:

1. Play the movie with MPC
            2. Find the "snapshot" image that you want to use as a thumbnail
            3. Pause the movie
            4. From the File menu, select Save Image (Alt+I)
            5. Save the image to a "Snapshots" folder (different from the folder where the movie is) - you will create this now
            6. Create a new folder, different from the "Snapshots" folder, for the movie which thumbnail you wish to change
            7. Move the movie to the folder you created in step 6
            8. Open the folder containing the movie which thumbnail you wish to change
            9. From the View menu, select Customize This Folder > Folder pictures > Choose picture, then select the snapshot created in step 5. Click Apply, then OK.

The actual WMV movie thumbnail file does not change (it's still black, like the opening few frames of the movie) but you now have a FOLDER with a thumbnail of your choosing which contains the movie FILE.

Paglamon, thank you so much for your insightful suggestions.

Comment

• paglamon
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

The actual WMV movie thumbnail file does not change (it's still black, like the opening few frames of the movie)
              That is because windows explorer generates the thumbnail ONLY from the first frame. There might be a registry hack to force explorer choose a different frame;but I do not know any way.
              But atleast you have a folder with the desired frameshot.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...