Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brodie4416
    • Aug 2006

Compress .avi files for dvd formatting?

Hello, I have approximately 23 .avi files that are 350mb each. This is obviously 1 entire season of a tv show.

Question the first:
    What software would you recommend for burning a dvd? I was going to use windows dvd maker but I feel like there is probably better software out there.

Question the second:
    Is there any way to compress .avi files (lossless) so that I can fit more episodes/files on one dvd?

Any help is appreciated,
    Brodie4416
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Are they standard definition tv or HD? If they are SD then you can get a stand alone DVD player that will play the .avi files directly. In that case you could just burn them to disc using Imgburn with no conversion. Just burn as data discs and play them on the stand-alone. If they are HD then choices are narrower. You could play them back using a player like WD HDTV player for USB or another set top box. Or if they are HD then you could convert to standard DVD with excellent quality, but fewer episodes per disc.

The big divide is SD or HD. Please give more info.

Comment

• brodie4416
      • Aug 2006

I believe they are HD...

When I use windows DVD maker it shows that I can only fit around 3 per disc.

Can I burn DVDs with imgburn? I want to make sure there is a menu and scene/episode selection as well...

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

You may want to ask in this forum:
        Talk about the MP4, MKV file containers, plus the MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) and related video formats

maybe flag it to Blutach. He knows more about HD players and authoring. Most of the time I don't bother with menus, and the ones I make when I do are very simple, like a list of videos. I don't do the motion stuff and chapter selection.

You can convert HD avi to standard DVD and you often will get good results, but they take up more space. It may be better now that players are available that can play native HD formats to investigate that avenue.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎