Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fransim66
    • May 2002

avi to vcd

I am having trouble converting avi to vcd with tmpg, when i try to open the movie to convert it show that its an unsupported file.
    How can i get it work, do I need another program with it?
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Load the avi into virtualdub, tell us about any prompts or error messages you recieve.

Most likely, your audio is VBR as opposed to CBR, TMPGEnc does not recgonize VBR. If such is the case,this post has been covered countless times:

click here for detailed instructions
    Hi, I'm trying to convert a file from AVI to MPEG-1 Format, and I'm using Nero burning rom. The problem I have is that each time I try to convert something, I get this message: "Unsupported File Format," and it won't let me use that file. But, I followed the instructions on the DivX digest page and it said that it

Comment

• fransim66
      • May 2002

I downloaded virtualdub but got an error message
      cannot locate decompressor for format MP43
      where and how can I get this?
      Sorry I sound so naive.
      Also which is the best converter to go from avi to vcd?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"format MP43"

That's part of the original (not DivX-hacked) Microsoft codec. You can find it in one of the many codec packs at DivX Digest and/or DVD Digest...

"Also which is the best converter to go from avi to vcd?"

TMPGEnc...

Comment

• fransim66
          • May 2002

I finally got virtualdub to work
          also downloaded TMPEG
          now when I try to use TMPEG it says avi file not supported
          I need some step by step instruction to fix this please

Also thanks for all the help so far.

Comment

• Batman
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2002

You must install divx 3.11 alpha from divx-digest.com/software

If you still have a problem let us know and load the file in virtualdub, it could be (as I mentioned about ) vbr and cbr issues.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

1) Load the file into VirtualDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• fransim66
                • May 2002

ok I finally converted a avi file to mpeg
                what sorftware do I use to burn it to play on my dvd player?
                I tried record now bt it didnt work

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

NERO...

Comment

• Seamus Warren
                    • May 2002

Hello Forum,

I went <a href="http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/asf2avi.html">here</a> and downloaded the files I was told to get.

The files I downloaded were: "MS MPEG-4 VKI Codec" and "VirtualDub 1.3 C" (the older version because I think I need .ASF support)

I use WinXP which is installed on C drive along with most programs. I normally work in the "power users" group and most of the video files are stored in a "MEDIA" directory on a physically separate HDD called "DATA_DRV (D)".

When I followed the installation instructions for the above MPEG-4 Codec a newer version was found, and as instructed, I did not overwrite the newer version (which actually looked like the same version to me) and the installation automatically cancelled.

Maybe I should overwrite the so called "newer" codec. Perhaps it is faulty?

Also... do you think I should have downloaded VirtualDub directly to the C drive? There doesn't seem to be any actual "installation" process involved with VirtualDub that installs it on the C drive with the other programs. I just extracted it (still on the D drive) and click pretty much any of the the three grey icons in the VirtualDub13c folder (where all the VirtulDub files are extracted).

In my ignorance I am thinking this:
                    1) Maybe the MPEG-4 Codec that is already installed is corrupted or whatever and I should overwrite it;
                    2) Maybe I should have extracted VirtualDub to the C drive and not D drive?;

Oh, just one more thing: I converted an ASF via TMPGEnc last night completely bypassing VirtualDub (to convert the ASF to AVI). I followed the settings suggested <a href="http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/AVItoVCD.htm">here</a> included selecting "4:3 625 Line PAL" just like <a href="http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/pictures/tmpgenc-config1.gif">this</a>. Is this okay considering the ASF file I downloaded was from the U.S.A. and is a TIVO (I think) recording of an NTSC formatted broadcast? Whenever there was the option to select a level of quality such as "Motion Search Accuracy" or whatever I chose the highest because I want to get the best VCDs or SVCDs possible.

Anyway, after the conversion I played it in Windows Media Player. As usual, the video looked pretty dark on my monitor (but I am hoping it will be brighter on a TV screen - a standalone Pioneer DV-414 DVD player is the ultimate goal). But the sound was totally rooted, hehe. It is worse than just being a bit out of sync. It is totally buggered - all broken up. I don't know if this is because I chose to format the ASF as PAL or if this sound problem has anything to do with my not first turning the ASF into an AVI with VirtualDub. If I could get VirtualDub to work then I could test it, hehe. At that time, however, I thought "Maybe TMPGEnc" can convert straight from ASF to MPEG?", hehe.

Whadayareckon?

Sorry about the huge post.

Thank you.

Comment

• Seamus Warren
                      • May 2002

Windows XP should come with all the necessary codecs shouldn't it?

Would someone out there with WinXP mind telling me exactly what they did to get VirtualDub running? Maybe the solution is as simple as downloading the file to C drive and extracting it to C drive.

Thank you.

Well I tried moving VirtualDub 1.3 to a new folder within the "Program Files" folder on C drive. I still get the following error message when I select "File/Open Video File" and browse to the ASF file I want to open.

Here's the error message "Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'MP43' (Microsoft High-Speed MPEG-4 V3)"
                      Last edited by Seamus Warren; 8 May 2002, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• fransim66
                        • May 2002

frame size 352x288. 12.500fps(800000us)
                        # of frames 44724(59.37)
                        decompressor divx mpeg4 low motion
                        # of key frames 180
                        min/avg/max/total key frame size 1820/6330/26531(1113k)
                        min/avg/max/total delta frame size 106/3047/21317/(132381k)

sampling rate 22050 hz
                        channels 2 (stereo)
                        sample precision o bit
                        compressio fraunhofer IIs mpeg layer 3 codec
                        preload skew 3216 samples (0.15s)
                        # of frames 44658
                        min/avg/max/total frame size 468/557/3216(24311k)

here the info from virtualdub on the file i am tring to convert
                        please guide me thru the process.
                        I am using tmpgenc

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

To create a VCD:

1) Load .AVI file into TMPGEnc
                          2) Set to "System Video and Audio" (lower right side)
                          3) Click on "Setting" radio button
                          4) Click on "System" tab, change mode to "MPEG1-VideoCD" (from default of "MPEG1")
                          5) Click on "Advanced" tab, change "Video arrange method" to "Center (Custom Size"), change dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240
                          6) Change "Source aspect ratio" to either "4:3 525 line (NTSC 704x480)", "4:3 525 line (NTSC)", or "16:9 525 line (NTSC)" - If you're in the PAL world choose either of the two similar PAL settings instead
                          7) Under the "Video" tab, change the dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240 (Note: "Video" tab mode of "MPEG1" is okay) - for highest quality set "Motion Search Precision" to "Highest Quality". Change the "Aspect Ratio" to match, as closely as possible, the "Source Aspect Ratio" you set under the "Advanced" tab.
                          8) Change "Rate Control Mode" to "Automatic VBR (CQ_VBR)
                          9) Under the "Audio" tab, set to 44,100 224Kbps
                          10) Press "Start"

Note that if your video runs longer than 60 minutes, you'll have to subsequently split your VCD-MPG file in two. This too can be easily and precisely accomplished using TMPGEnc. Under the "Files" dropdown menu, click on "MPEG Tools" and select the "Merge & Cut" tab. Once again, make sure to change the mode to "MPEG1-Video CD". Load your file and enter a new (.MPG) name in the "Output file" box. Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL file's name in the window, which will bring you to the cutting area. Select your desired start and end points for the first half, click on "Okay" which will bring you back to the first window and generate (in a sequence of three automated steps) the first new file. To create the second new file, repeat the steps starting with "Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL..." (be extra patient with the second half, as the program has to do more seeking to establish the beginning of the new file).

Use a burning program, such as NERO to burn your CD-R or R/W CD as a VCD (DON'T ask NERO to format the file as a VCD, since you've already accomplished this!)

Comment

• Seamus Warren
                            • May 2002

Most of my ASFs are recorded from an NTSC source in the U.S. I live the a PAL area and prefer viewing the PAL format if possible. Can I select the PAL options you described above? )

Maybe I'm wrong, but I am sort-of thinking that once an MPEG recorded from an NTSC source has been converted to an ASF the file is then independent of the various formats (PAL, SECAM, NTSC)? I could be wrong about this of course and one of the reasons I have doubts is because when I open an ASF in TMPGEnc the frame rate (I think) is often either 29.97 which is for NTSC I think - but sometimes I open a file which is 30 FPS. Is 30 FPS still NTSC?

I know of a guy who just leaves most things as the default. He converts using the "1:1 VGA" option. He also uses VirtualDub first to convert the ASFs to AVI. ) He seems happy enough with the result, but I have been told conversion after conversion can degrade the quality of the final VCD. ) I've been advised by some people to save in a "raw" format and take not of the FPS and something else (which I forget at the moment). This raw format results in huge files. One 44 minute video was about 16.7 GB in size as a "raw" file. ) This is of course intended to be recompressed as an MPEG.

Thank you. )

Comment

• fransim66
                              • May 2002

ok now i need help burning the file with nero.
                              evrything i do doesnt work. could somebody please give me some specfic instruction on using nero

thank you

Comment

Working...