X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

Join our team please - Folding at Home

Some of you may already know "F@H" or "Folding at Home" others don't.

F@H uses distributed computing in order to find cures for diseases like:

* Alzheimer's Disease
    * Cancer
    * Huntington's Disease
    * Osteogenesis Imperfecta
    * Parkinson's Disease
    * Ribosome & antibiotics

you can help finding cures by running a small tool on your machine(s) to calculate protein folding
    (that's where Folding@Home comes from)

F@H is a project of Stanford University and you may compare it to Seti@Home, which is way more popular

I have set up a team for Digital Video Forums:

Here is the team page

New: DVF Folding@Home entry on DigiWiki - instructions on how to install, setup Folding@Home and joining the DVF Grim Rippers team!

What do you have to do in order to join?

Simply download a small application, run it on your computer (windows, linux, mac os - up 2 u) and type in OUR TEAM NUMBER when asked for a team:

When you run the application you will be asked for a user name:
    choose/type in any name you want - you dont have to register a nickname anywhere

Here is the F@H homepage for further information

And here is the download section where you will find the necessary software

Windows users are adviced to download the "No nonsense" text-only console
    => http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg...04-Console.exe

edit: 2009-1-14
    or if you have a newer vga use the "high performance client" which makes use of your gpu/graphics processor unit
    i came across this client today after installing a new vga to my system (ati 4870 1gb):

- download this file to your pc
    - run it
    - choose a nickname
    - type in our team number: 51205

and now let your machine run as much as you can/like

it will be for a good cause
    it will test the reliability of your machine (new or old)
    it will hopefully earn this forum some points for the team

thanx for joining in and happy folding

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    edit 02-10-2007

New clients are available and they might lead to a severe speed increase!

Windows XP/Vista - GPU client console version (with multi-GPU support)

Linux (x86-64 bit, only) - SMP client console version

Mac OS X (Intel) - SMP client console version

Mac OS X (Intel) - SMP client Installer

I'm running the MAC OS X Intel SMP (installer) version right now on a dual core MacBook (2x2ghz, 2gb ram) and it is way faster than the old clients!

edit: 03-22-2007

Finally a SMP client for 2000/XP/Vista is available

LINK
    Last edited by UncasMS; 16 Jan 2009, 06:20 AM.
  • jm1647
    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
    • Apr 2005

Sure why not, some computer resources for helping mankind, no problem . Listening to an alien, nah

I'm not sure I answered all the setup things right, but it is running right now ::

Comment

• jm1647
      • Apr 2005

Shoot, it only uses about 4MB of memory, can we run it twice??

About how long does it take to complete a cycle of 5,000,000 steps. And does it update the screen as it completes a step. After 5 minutes or so mine stil has 0 steps completed.

Comment

• soup
        Just Trying To Help
        • Nov 2005

I think that's only when it is being used. I Xd out of the window & checked Windows Task Manager & under applications it is running so I guess it installed successfully.

Comment

• jm1647
          • Apr 2005

Yup, mine has completed 5000 outta 5000000 folds in 34 minutes on my AMD 1500+ and I'm ripping a DVD at the same time

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

a 4mb ram usage is what i also found when folding but of course it'll use some 99% cpu power if available ^_~

it cant be answered how long a 5 million job takes as different cores have different speeds and it very much depends on your system

let's hope some folks will join and DVF will become a team within the top 2000 sooner or later

when you have finished a job (which can take takes btw) your personal score will be added/listed on the team page and the total pts will add up every once in a while but please dont expect a work unit to be finished within one or two hours

right now i have a 500.000 core and not 5.000.0000 and one single step takes ~ 13min on an athlon 64 (single core) 3200 with 1gb ram and NO heavy background task

Comment

• jm1647
              • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by UncasMS
              a 4mb ram usage is what i also found when folding but of course it'll use some 99% cpu power if available ^_~

it cant be answered how long a 5 million job takes as different cores have different speeds and it very much depends on your system

let's hope some folks will join and DVF will become a team within the top 2000 sooner or later

when you have finished a job (which can take takes btw) your personal score will be added/listed on the team page and the total pts will add up every once in a while but please dont expect a work unit to be finished within one or two hours

right now i have a 500.000 core and not 5.000.0000 and one single step takes ~ 13min on an athlon 64 (single core) 3200 with 1gb ram and NO heavy background task
              Thanks for the info !!!!

What happens if ya stop it and restart it, do you pick up where you left off or does it start a new cycle over again?

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

yap, you normally dont loose anything

only thing i found out was that you shouldnt close the aplication terminal window when using a MAC OS but you better shut down the process via "ctrl + c" in order to run an optimised core after restart

otherwise the little sucker didnt use optimized routines on my core duo macbook - but i never experienced any problems with window machines

btw: great to hear you already joined forces - let's see how fast we can grow

Comment

• jm1647
                  • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by UncasMS
                  yap, you normally dont loose anything

only thing i found out was that you shouldnt close the aplication terminal window when using a MAC OS but you better shut down the process via "ctrl + c" in order to run an optimised core after restart

otherwise the little sucker didnt use optimized routines on my core duo macbook - but i never experienced any problems with window machines

btw: great to hear you already joined forces - let's see how fast we can grow
                  I was not aware of this, thanks for lettin' me know
                  CPU definitely at 100%
                  I closed it out by clicking in the task bar and chose close.
                  Can we run the app on 2 differnet machines with the same user name?

Comment

• UncasMS
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2001

what i said about closing the app down via ctrl + c was only for MAC OS not windows!

and yes you can run the app on as many machines as you like/can - simply type in your user name and team id

the more machines the faster we will grow

Comment

• l8nights
                      DD folding team
                      • Jun 2005

I've been folding for little while now and I've been waiting on familiar teams to join so count me in
                      I'm down to one rig but it's a dualcore so I should get us a couple hundred points a day
                      Originally Posted by jm1647
                      Shoot, it only uses about 4MB of memory, can we run it twice??
                      if you are using a dual core machine by all means you can successfully run two cores but there is a trick or two to doing, I think the most important thing to do is to make sure you use the different machine id's ie..1-9

good show uncas, I think this team should do alot for science/medicine, not to mention the points.
                      L8,m8
                      The future doesn't just happen its created through our actions or inactions~ today!

Comment

• volfann
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        • Jun 2006

I'll give it a go..
                        sigpic

Rent This Space

Comment

• l8nights
                          DD folding team
                          • Jun 2005

here is an app that will let you better monitor your progress

Electron Microscope III

this gives you info such as what project you are working on, ppd (points per day), as well as giving you a visual graphic illustrating what is happening in your simulation.
                          The future doesn't just happen its created through our actions or inactions~ today!

Comment

• anonymez
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2004

we've got a bunch of dual core PC's running on campus working on this 24/7... my honours year will hopefully see me assisting adult stem cell research
                            "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• volfann
                              Digital Video Enthusiast
                              Digital Video Enthusiast
                              • Jun 2006

Got 2 machines up and running now . A P4 HT and a P4 Dual Core. I spent alot of time previously doing the SETI thing and then the weather thing. Folding may be of better service.
                              sigpic

Rent This Space

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎