X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • techreactor
    Banned
    • Jul 2005

Decipher logs

What does this mean and how to get over it. I know its to do with increased disk activity and Imgburn waiting fot its share but still....

Code:
    I 09:52:35 Writing Image...
    W 09:54:39 Waiting for buffers to recover...
    W 09:54:52 Waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level...
    I 09:55:10 Writing Image...
    W 09:55:39 Waiting for buffers to recover...
    W 09:55:49 Waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level...
    I 09:56:05 Writing Image...
    W 10:05:31 Waiting for buffers to recover...
    W 10:05:44 Waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level...
    I 10:05:59 Writing Image...
    W 10:06:27 Waiting for buffers to recover...
    W 10:06:39 Waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level...
    I 10:07:09 Writing Image...
    W 10:08:07 Waiting for buffers to recover...
    W 10:08:14 Waiting for hard disk activity to reach threshold level...
    I 10:08:15 Writing Image...
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Something (another program) is hogging up all your CPU power.

Comment

• techreactor
      Banned
      • Jul 2005

It happens eveytime I open any program,the spikes in CPU are expected. But does that mean that Imgburn needs more power than anything else, its a dual core cpu, that shouldnt be happenning.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

Was something else accessing the hard drive at the same time, reading or writting?

Comment

• LIGHTNING UK!
          Author of ImgBurn
          • Dec 2001

If your buffers are all over the place then that would explain it.

If they drop below the levels configured in the settings (30% main and 50% device) a few times in a row (measured every 250ms), the buffer recovery stuff kicks in.

So now you have to ask yourself why your buffers keep dropping so low?
          What are you doing to cause that to happen, or what is another app doing to cause that to happen - obviously it shouldn't be doing it!

You'd do well to fix the cause of the issue, but you could of course just turn the 'buffer recovery' option off in the settings.
          The Official ImgBurn Website

Comment

• blutach
            Not a god of digital video
            • Oct 2004

Implicit in all this advice, is to leave your machine alone while you burn - unless you got a dual core 4600 or something.

Regards
            Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
            [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

hard disk activity
              I was under the impression that this meant what it said?

Comment

• LIGHTNING UK!
                Author of ImgBurn
                • Dec 2001

It does, but ImgBurn only does the hdd activity check once the buffers have recovered.

Buffers could drop for other reasons... like busy cpu or DMA not being on.

You'd think the buffer activity one would be obvious to the person using the pc though. Either they're going mad and you can hear them, or they're not!
                Also, if you running defrag whilst burning, you'd know about it and notice that too.

So as the question has been asked in the first place, I guess it's not anything obvious.

Comment

• techreactor
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2005

Its a dual code D805 OC to 3.2 Ghz, DMA is enabled, It happens if you open anything winword, IE, VOBBlanker, although I am not processing anything whilst burning, but the buffer recovery remains till the HDD activity is high and I could see that through the HDD LED.

If i try to disable Buffer recovery, will it effect my burns negatively ???

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

you might try turning off drive indexing and any background tasks

Comment

• LIGHTNING UK!
                      Author of ImgBurn
                      • Dec 2001

Assuming you're opening programs and burning images from the same physical drive, you have to expect slowdowns.

The drive won't be able to cope with the random accessing involved in loading a program / dlls etc AND still maintain a continuous steady stream of data to imgburn.

If you're ever short on memory, you also have to take into account the swap file on the hdd.

If you disable buffer recovery it just means your drive will keep stopping / starting for the entire time the machine cannot supply ImgBurn with enough data to send to to it.

The less stop / starts the better really.

Comment

• techreactor
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2005

Yea, I am using the same physical HDD, but its a SATA so throughputs shouldnt be an issue, really. But yes, my RAM is less, 512 MB of PC 4300, so that could be one probable cause, I accept.

My XP services are already at bare minimum required, thanks chewy.

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

I had some wild buffer problems with non-standard ide drivers on a nf2 mobo,
                          but they were also associated with weird burn times, like twice as long as my other boxes. Bad sil sata drivers also.

Comment

• LIGHTNING UK!
                            Author of ImgBurn
                            • Dec 2001

Being SATA means nothing. The drives are no faster than their IDE counter parts, the just make use of a different I/O interface.

So it'll still be random accessing to open the program, provide a stream of data to ImgBurn AND use the swap file a bit - hence the disk thrashing and drop in buffer levels which ultimately results in the buffer recovery code kicking in.

Comment

• techreactor
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2005

I beg to differ on this, ATA drives has seen the data transfer rate reach its maximum at 133 MB/second, where the current SATA I standard provides data transfers of up to 150 MB/second and SATA II drives with 300 MB/second transfer rates which is twice that of ATA aka IDE drives. Which means that the SATA II drives can handle more activities at the same time.

Although I found that my problem was related to the enabling of 32 bit HDD transfer in the BIOS, the moment I disabled it, the problem disappeared.

Comment

Working...