X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fyodor
    • Mar 2007

can't transfer from DV cam

Hi, Forum!
    I got a DV camera, which I used to record some videos (obviously). Now that the tape is full, I wanted to transfer the videos from the cam to my laptop. I turned on the PC, connected the FireWire cable to both devices, and turned on the cam (play). At first I tried to transfer the vids with Premiere Elements 1.0. It can control the cam perfectly, but it doesn't record anything! No video, no sound. So I tried the Windows MovieMaker, but it had the very same problem. I can remote control the cam, but it doesn't record anything. With both programms I don't even get a preview.

I got a JVC GR-DVL355E camera and a DELL precision M65 laptop.

Does enyone know what the problem might be? I don't think it's the cable, since I don't experience any problems remote controlling the cam, and the cable was never folded or stepet on or such.

Cheers,
    Fyo
  • benbryant
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Aug 2005

Please try this free but wonderful tool for capturing videos from DV device (camcorder) into AVI-files and for recording AVI-files into DV device via FireWire (IEEE 1394) interface. Good luck

Small Windows utility for DV FireWire digital video input/output.

Regards

Comment

• Fyodor
      • Mar 2007

Thanks for the link.

But unfortunately this software has the same problem. No picture, no sound, but perfect remote control capability.

I feel really stupid by now, usually I'm not unexperienced with PCs and other pieces of technology.

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

are you sure your firewire cable is working for this case?

i have had a similar case using a firewire cable that didnt work and then tried another one which let me record the content properly
        Last edited by UncasMS; 24 Mar 2007, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• src2206
          • Jan 2007

While launching premiere check out the project setting, it must be set according to the setting used to capture the raw footage, like PAL/NTSC etc. Can you tell me what type of Camcorder are you using? A bit of detail about that will bw useful.

Comment

Working...