X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Blu-ray sales skyrocket, provided you lower the sky

Market data from the NPD Group released this week shows that in the first quarter of 2009, more than 400,000 standalone Blu-ray players were sold, constituting a year-over-year increase of 72%. Dollar sales likewise increased by 14% and hit $107.2 million.
    Sales of Blu-ray were up in the first quarter, but they’d be up more with just one important partnership.

Interesting that there's a 72% increase in the number of players sold, but only a 14% increase in dollar sales. This suggest that the average Blu-ray player sold is 34% cheaper than a year ago. So a $500 player is now $330, which sounds about right.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • photo_angel2004
    Queen of Digital Video
    Queen of Digital Video
    • Jan 2004

The way I have been seeing this is the stores are not stocking DVD player much anymore is almost all bluray players so the options are not the same.

I have also seen the prices of DVD's go from $18.99 to $26.99 all the way to $34.99 just for a dvd that a year ago would have sold for $14.99 - $18.99.

DVD's are going up and the price of the bluray movies are coming down.

Went to walmart the other night and the new release movies on DVD were about 26$ and most of the bluray movies were about $28.99

That right there would be why, at least in my area. You almost have to go online to find a dvd player these days. Walmart still sells 2 players though.

The video rental places around here though have very few titels in blu ray its almost ALL DVD so for renting its still a DVD world for the most part.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

Working...