X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Google, YouTube and Mr Bean: Don't Fight Uploads, Profit From It

Google wants copyright holders to soften their stance on copyrighted materials uploaded to video sharing websites like YouTube, and instead, make money from them.

Offering an olive branch in the war between copyright and innovation, Google is offering a share of advertising revenue to copyright holders once they identify content that belongs to them on YouTube. Using the ContentID system (reported back in August, but developed 2 years ago) to find the uploads, the copyright holders can then decide to block the content, or to keep it online but earn a percentage of the advertising.

With the system up and running for a few months now, Google says that stats show that the majority of content owners are happy to keep the content online and to make money in the process. Of the 7 billion videos that YouTube streams each week, so far, 1 billion is monetized, and a third of this comes directly from the ContentID program.

One well known example of how ContentID can bring success is the hit UK comedy series, Mr Bean, of which more than 5,000 uploads have been made on YouTube for the hit show. The owners decided to monetize, instead of penalize, and it has led to lucrative TV deals due to the popularity of the uploaded clip.

Google/YouTube is currently being sued by Viacom for copyright infringement.

More:

Internet group is working to persuade music and video companies to cash in rather than clamp down when their content is uploaded
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Isn't that what I've been saying for a couple years now?

They can put all the ads they want, I'm happy with Ad Muncher, and that means less of my uploads getting deleted...
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡