X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

HTML5 vs Flash: Benchmarks

The Streaming Learning Centre recently ran some benchmarks to compare the performance of HTML5 and Flash, but the only real conclusion they came up with was that compatibility is going to be a big issue as the two formats fight it.

HTML5's lack of compatibility is understood, since it's relatively new, but some things may never get resolved as some browser manufacturers are refusing to add native H.264 support, due to cost issues. So just because a video is HTML5, it doesn't mean it will play in all browsers.

Flash has better compatibility, but with Apple reluctant to work with Adobe on adding hardware acceleration, performance can still be an issue even when the long awaited Flash 10.1 comes out of beta.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

So Apple doesn't want to cooperate w/Adobe. Let them create their own accelerators etc... I mean what's the market share for a Mac? How does that even get in the way of what MS is doing?

Mac lovers like the individuality or w/e of carrying around a thousand dollar or more Mac. So let Steve cater to them. They're willing to pay no?

I said this before. If I was one of the Big Boys I could care less what you're doing/not doing as long as my thing is riding fine. I mean are people not buying PCS anymore because of the iphone etc...?
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Since Apple controls the hardware and the OS software on Macs, Adobe needs access to certain things that only Apple can give permission for in order to add GPU assisted decoding to Flash. Since Apple is not playing ball, so Adobe can't really do much there. The Apple iPad also won't support Flash.

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

That's only on Macs though correct? Apple doesn't own the hardware or anything else that MS or Nvidia etc... uses for acceleration. Just like there's software etc... that are not made for Apple or compatible for Macs. Why would this hinder or stop Adobe from coming out w/the new assisted decoding? They want the whole market? I would think they'd be pretty well off as it is now.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Yes, it only affects Macs, so when 10.1 rolls out, it will have GPU assisted decoding for practically all the Nvidia and ATI cards/chips on PCs, but nothing for Macs. The difference could be something like 10% CPU usage with GPU assisted decoding and up to 50% without, so it's almost essential for systems to have GPU assisted decoding if delivering 1080p content online is going to work.

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

Well since PCS are really the norm for most Digital Video than Apple has decisions to make regarding their fan base. Although I really doubt most Mac Users are doing Digital Video to the extent that's here etc... Prolly watching a flic or something. Let Steve sort it out. That's his issue.

FWIW APPLE imo is more like a elitist following crowd. When you need to make a appt. just to see their new ipod sound system you know what you're in for.

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

Have any of you guys seen a more better steady connection w/the new Flash assisted accelerator? I know connection is 1 thing, but I'm getting a very steady and quite good view w/the latest Flash Beta. Before at this time in the morning I would get a choppy connection and weaker signal. I've been watching all the Sports Highlights on Yahoo for about 2 hours now and smooth as never. Maybe Yahoo has something to do w/this. They are working w/MS now correct?

Comment

Working...