Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KillRoy
    • Feb 2003

bitrate calc for DivX 5.03?

Is thee a bitrate calculatr for DivX 5.03?
    Because eversince I use 5.03 pro my file sizes are much smaller than they were.
    I use AviCalc 2, I make a Divx for 2 CD's (2x700 MB). AviClac says I have to encode with a bitrate of 1357, and that the file size of the DivX would be something around 1200 Mb, jet when i Encode the movie, it will not be bigger than 780 MB.

Is this because Avicalc calculates the bitrate for 5.02 and lower??

And if so, does anyone know a good calculater specialy for 5.03?

Thnx

I'm new here, and I'm sorta new to making DivX movies, (not watching them though )
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

No, bitrate is bitate. If the filesize doesn't come out as expected it's the encoding tool or codec that is at fault, unless you have reached maximum quality, in which case the filesize can't go any higher.

What tools are you using to encode ?.
    Which setting are you using in divx5.03 ?.
    Unless you really really need to use a particular profile, you should disable this in the Profiles tab i the divx encoder config.
    Last edited by khp; 12 Feb 2003, 07:27 AM.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• KillRoy
      • Feb 2003

I use DVDX 2.0 to encode the files (/me is a newbie still, and i find this program easy to use! and I like the result it's giving...)

For de DivX I have all settings to default, the only thing I change is the bitrate. I use 1 pass encoding....

Maybe it's the 5.03 pro bundle.... Before I used the normal 5.03 bundle and I had no problem with the 'miss' calulation...

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Upgrade to DVDX version 2.1, as I understand it there are compatibility problems between Divx5.03 and DVDX2.0

You might want to visit the LabDV forums, for further help, seeing as noone here really care about DVDX

Comment

• KillRoy
          • Feb 2003

Hmm, I now know what the problem is regarding the filesize.
          First of all I uninstalled and reinstalled all programmes I use regarding DIVx including the 5.03 codec (installed the non pro version again)
          Same problem, I expected a file size of 1300 MB it came out around 900.....
          Picture looks good,but here is the problem, for some reason last half hour of the movie looks like crap! I think the filesize is smaller because it decoded the last 30 minutes at a very low bitrate...

This is the pic in the first 75 minutes looks good! (well good enough for me):

This is last 30 minutes Its like a running colours :

Very strange indeed... I looked at the forum as you sugested and could not find a post about the same prob, but the forum at divx.com ppl are saying things about 5.03 giving crappy pictures in beginning/end film....

I think I will go back to 5.02 and see what happens

keep you posted....
          Last edited by KillRoy; 13 Feb 2003, 02:15 AM.

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

I think I will go back to 5.02 and see what happens
            wise decision imho!

same for me after testing 5.0.3

Comment

• The Maynard
              • Jan 2003

The only way I've found to fix that problem is to do 2 passes. Then it comes out great.

Comment

• gs0666
                Digital Video Technician
                Digital Video Technician
                • Nov 2001

"The only way I've found to fix that problem is to do 2 passes"

That would certainly give you the best results...

Comment

• khp
                  The Other
                  • Nov 2001

Originally posted by KillRoy

This is last 30 minutes Its like a running colours :
                  Yes, something is causing the rate control mechanism to run amok, you are not the first one to report this. I suspect this is caused by the Divx5 certification profiles, but I have yet to reproduce the problem myself. All I can do is so suggest that you disable the certification profiles in the divx5.03 encoder.

Comment

• The Maynard
                    • Jan 2003

Does anyone know if there is a bitrate calculator that factors in the size of a DTS bitstream?
                    I have just figured out how to rip DTS and have found that it makes for quite a large file. But I tell ya, it sounds BEAUTIFUL!

Comment

• khp
                      The Other
                      • Nov 2001

Originally posted by The Maynard
                      Does anyone know if there is a bitrate calculator that factors in the size of a DTS bitstream?
                      I have just figured out how to rip DTS and have found that it makes for quite a large file. But I tell ya, it sounds BEAUTIFUL!
                      The type of audio you use makes practically no difference, bitrate is bitrate, and filesize is filesize.

If the bitrate calculator you are using won't let you enter the size of the audio track, and you don't know the bitrate. Just subtract the size of the DTS file, from the desired filesize, and set the audio bitrate to 0 in the bitrate calculator.

Of course GordianKnot's bitrate calculator will let you enter the size of the audiotrack.

Comment

• KillRoy
                        • Feb 2003

Anyway.

I went back to 5.02, and all montioned problems are gone!

Comment

Working...