X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benedict
    Lord of the 4th Estate
    • Jun 2002

Unable to Download Software

As yet, I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to download software from DivX Digest. All I keep getting is the 404 page. Five possible reasons are listed on this page:

1) The file does not exist. (Unlikely. This has occured for multiple files including some listed as new additions.)

2) The file is being updated. (Unlikely. This has occured for multiple files and across multiple times and dates.)

3) Right click not allowed. (Did not use right click.)

4) Request from unauthorized link. (Requests were made from authorized links.)

5) Using GoZilla! This seems to be the most likely culprit. I am using v3.5 of this accelerator (which I believe is too old to support the file splitting mentioned), and I have turned off all auto-capture features of this software. (Downloading from other sources no longer invokes GoZilla!) The 404 response remains the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also:

I recall seeing a program (I think here) that could be used on a CD front end to determine whether or not the user had the appropriate codec installed, thereby allowing the user to opt for that codec's installation. I can't seem to find it anymore. Does anyone recall this piece of software and know where to get it?
    It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

try with disabled download manager

Comment

• benedict
      Lord of the 4th Estate
      • Jun 2002

Been trying . . .

...I've un-checked every automatic feature GoZilla! has and I'm still getting the same thing. Gone back into GoZilla! several times looking for more, but as far as I can find, it's disabled entirely. In fact, any other site I try downloads from? GoZilla! does not intercept anything anymore.

The only thing I can think of is that GoZilla! intercepted my first download request, and that I am somehow "tagged" by that download site as unacceptable. But that's a long shot, and hardly even makes sense. I could certainly un-install GoZilla! as an experiment on this, but I'm sure you are quite well aware of the install/uninstall garbage that goes on in these types of deals.
      It may look like I'm doing nothing, but actually, at a cellular level I'm quite busy.

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Whenever your browser tries to download something, it sends a request to the server, and in this request, the current link's location (to check for leeching) and the name of the browser is also sent. The same thing occurs with GoZilla and other download manager tools, except they sent their own names to the server.

What I've done is basically disable any requests that contains the names of download managers/accelerators.

The instructions I used to block out certain download tools can be found here :

Also note that if you have some kind of web caching/acceleration tool (to speed up loading of web pages) installed, the download may also not work. The reason is that web caching tools crawl a web page for links, and tries to download all the links prior to you actually clicking on it - therefore, when you do click on it, it loads instantly - it also tries to download any files on the page, which would result in an error since it wasn't requested by your browser, and when you do click on the download link, it just loads a cached version of the error page.

Could you tell me which specific file you are trying to download, and which browser you are using?
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• benedict
          Lord of the 4th Estate
          • Jun 2002

I've tried to download quite a few different items but the first ones I tried (and remain most interested in) were Terabits AVI Info and MovieID.

My browser is BroadPage Professional v3.2.3. If you are not familiar with this browser, it essentially allows multiple pages to share a single window. I believe (but am not sure) that it is essentially a shell that sits on top of Internet Explorer for the purpose of managing the window display portion of that program. Mostly, its displays are identical to those of IE, but a very few Javascript commands do not properly make the transition.

As to accelerators, I installed NetSonic a while back, but soon afterwards removed it from start-up. I don't recall whether I actually ever un-installed it however.

As to the server coding, I haven't gotten into that world yet, so that's a bit beyond me. But here's a question: Obviously, my download requests are going out with something that enables the server to detect things like accelerators and download managers. Do you know of any way I can scan this out-going message as it is sent? Perhaps if I could, I could locate the source of my problem with these requests. (Hopefully, this would be something fairly simple, as I've never actually looked at raw traffic before.)

Comment

Working...