Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Borodin
    • Mar 2011

Beginner needs help....subtitling

I am trying to use DivXLand Media subtitler and have an SRT file and an Avi file that I want to merge. I can see where the first subtitle should be in the film and press Apply....is there any way then that the software will automatically apply the rest of the subtitles to the film or do I have to attach each individual line ?
    If there is a way of simply applying the first line then letting the software 'do it's thing' then please will someone explain how. Many thanks, any advice much appreciated.
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

What are you using for playback? I've never used DivxLand Media Subtitler. But for playback on my Philips stand-alone DVD player I use AviAddXSubs. If the playback device supports embedded xsubs I would use that. If it supports external idx/sub subtitle files you can still use AviAddXSubs to create idx/sub files from the .srt.

The number of software players that support embedded xsub seems limited. WMP 12 and VLC media player 1.1.0 and later are the ones I've found.

Comment

• Dr.Strangelove
      • Dec 2010

What I do is not use the Media Subtitler (because it can find VirtualDub but can't find the DIVX codec - and I don't know how to indicated where it is) but I use Imtoo Video Converter Ultimate (this version supports subtitles) and I convert from an avi file to an avi file with embedded (burned) subtitles.

I hope this helps.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

You can also burn in subs from an .srt file using any encoder that lets you edit or accepts an AviSynth script(.avs script.) To burn in subs from an .srt use
        TextSub("MySubs.srt") or whatever path to the .srt file.

Also Quick AVI Creator will do it automatically if it finds an .srt file with the same base name as the video, in the same folder. Only thing with QAC is sometimes the bit rate it selects is too low. But it uses xvid_encraw.exe so you can often get good results in one pass.

You can add a one pass mode by adding these lines to the xvid.presets file in the Avsp\Tools folder:

[One Pass Mode]
        xvid_encraw.exe -i "$video_input" -bitrate $video_bitrate -progress 1000 -avi "$video_output"

Comment

• Marv70
          • Jun 2011

What works for me is: I put the video file usually .avi file along with the .srt or .sub with the .idx subtitle files in the same folder. The two or three files should have the exact some name. Like “filename.srt, filename.avi or filename.sub and filename.idx. I add (drag and drop) the .avi file into ConvertxDVD which automatically adds the subtitles file and burn the DVD. You can turn the subtitles on or off.

Comment

• roselinda
            • Jun 2011

I think for subtitle, you can use Media Player, that my suggestion
            Last edited by roselinda; 9 Jun 2011, 05:19 AM.

Comment

• tammyschka
              Tam©
              • Sep 2011

He, for me the WMP dont show SRT files... and VLC shows the the hun.text and also my german.. why? this program dont want to put my german text upstairs - it stays down..why?

Comment

Working...