X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NightbladeXX
    Digital Putz
    • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by snagel
    ... I was curious about the Active Virus Shield because I had seen good reviews on it. When I went to look at it today it said it was no more......
    For the most part IMO, if it may please the court, I find most reviews from magazines to seem coporated and biased

I prefer to test them out for myself, Norton and McAfee are IMO, if it may please the court, to be crapware and money driven software. I tested Norton and McAfee myself a couple of different times, even used to subscribe to Nortons' usual System Works for numerous years, buying the new upgrades year after year, only to find out that it screwed my computer up, and I had 2 trojans, on my system, and Free-ware programs found these and fixed my computer.

Im sometimes too anal about things, and vehement against things that have burnt me, but I while can admit the Norton and McAfee have stepped up their efforts, mainly Ive seen its alot easier to uninstall now than in preveious years. But I will never use their crap again, as I was spending way too much for their BS, as it seems every software publisher is getting on the subscription bandwagon now-a-days

http://www.steelers.com/

AMD FX-62 @3.2GHz
    2GB of Corsair XMS 4-4-4-12 @ 860 MHz soon to be 4GB
    MSI K9N Diamond nForce 590 SLI
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320 MB
    650W PSU + 465W (external)
    6 WD HD's 2x500, 2x320, 250, and 36GB Raptor + 200 External for Vista HP back ups
    LG DVD+RW
    Koolance EXOS Coolant System
    Buffalo Link Station Live 500GB NAS
    Dual Acer 2223's (22") Monitors
    Antec 900 Case custom painted interior black w/ 4 120mm blue fans + 200mm top vent
    Vista Home Premium 32 bit
    Vista Ultimate 64 bit (new)
    XP Professional 32 bit
    Ubuntu 7.04

Comment

• zonealarmforcef
      • Oct 2007

Another new free tool is ZoneAlarm ForceField. It's virtual browsing like sandboxie, but specifically designed for security, with alerts when you're on sketchy sites, anti-phishing, spyware prevention, etc. I'm helping find users for our beta, and we'd love to hear what you think.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by NightbladeXX
        For the most part IMO, if it may please the court, I find most reviews from magazines to seem coporated and biased

I prefer to test them out for myself, Norton and McAfee are IMO, if it may please the court, to be crapware and money driven software.
        (snip)
        Hmmm, when I first started learning Intel assembly I typed in like 13 files worth of assembler(back then the programming books didn't come with a disk so you could just copy onto the PC) from Peter Norton's book to create this little disk sector editor utility. I think he made a better programmer than CEO.

Comment

• NightbladeXX
          Digital Putz
          • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by zonealarmforcef
          Another new free tool is ZoneAlarm ForceField. It's virtual browsing like sandboxie, but specifically designed for security, with alerts when you're on sketchy sites, anti-phishing, spyware prevention, etc. I'm helping find users for our beta, and we'd love to hear what you think.
          Too bad no Vista or I might try it.

till then I stick with Sandboxie

Version 3.02 is out!!!

AMD FX-62 @3.2GHz
          nVidia 8800 GTS 320 MB
          6 WD HD's 2x500, 2x320, 250, and 36GB Raptor + 200 External for Vista HP back ups
          LG DVD+RW
          Antec 900 Case custom painted interior black w/ 4 120mm blue fans + 200mm top vent
          XP Professional 32 bit
          Ubuntu 7.04

Comment

• NightbladeXX
            Digital Putz
            • Jan 2006

well looks like ZoneAlarm's Force Field now supports Vista but is still in BETA

Sandboxie is running like a champ altho I have found Firefox runs better in it than IE7

Still no Mal-Ware detected on my system, and I have found a memory leak but that was with 32 Tabs in IE7 and not 100% sure it was a memory leak or just a total systme bog down, but it crippled Sandboxie and Vista requiring a hard reboot was worried that this may have compromised sandboxie so I did a FULL system scan using 15 different programs thru all 3 OSes on my system still 100% clean against all known Mal-ware

AMD FX-62 @3.2GHz
            nVidia 8800 GTS 320 MB
            LG DVD+RW
            XP Professional 32 bit
            Ubuntu 7.04

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

AVG 7.5 Pro is available to download for free (usually $29.95) until 17/1/2008:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• BR7
                He is coming to your little town!
                • Aug 2005

Worked for me
                Thanks Admin

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• soup
                  Just Trying To Help
                  • Nov 2005

Running Clamwin & using System Suite 8's Net Defense 2-way firewall (not free), on the XP32 side & Clamwin with Comodo's 2-way firewall, having chosen Basic not Advanced during the installation. Have a friend who is running Clamwin & Comodo on Vista, been doing it for a while now.

Comment

• snagel
                    • Apr 2006

re: admin

Originally Posted by admin
                    AVG 7.5 Pro is available to download for free (usually $29.95) until 17/1/2008:

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/avg/
                    bought the magazine as I have for about 7 months now? I can't see anything in the magazine that states anything at all about this offer. Is this in the last issue or what? Where am I supposed to find the information for the offer above . Your help would be appreciated.

Comment

• admin
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2001

I don't have the magazine either, I found the link on another website (which got the link from another forum). Apparently, all you need to do is to download and install the software, although some have said that it is a 1 year license only. More info and download mirrors here:

The MegaUpload mirror is still working, I just confirmed.
                      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• mill
                        Im Off To See The Wizard
                        • Oct 2005

SmitFraudFix removes Desktop Hijack malware. It created by S!Ri, and is available for FREE

Heres a little scanner. Tell me what you think please
                        Keep Plugin away

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

Clean up vs Clean Install

The experts at CERT and SANS don't think an on-site team of certified trained and experienced professionals can reliably clean a system that has had a backdoor installed, up to the standards of everyday commercial and institutional use. So how can one expect to do that long distance?
                          backdoor trojans are now using rootkits

Comment

• dr_ml422
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • May 2007

Hi Guys. What's W/ZoneAlarm's Free System Checkup? Is it worth a try w/out messing up your pc in anyway? I already have ZoneAlarm free. Just don't want to leave anything else running in the background after a free scan. Thnx.
                            SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • May 2007

Originally Posted by Chewy
                              http://www.dslreports.com/faq/10063

backdoor trojans are now using rootkits
                              Glad I read this and also some posts through search in the forum about zonealarm. Just dumped it. Looks like we all just have to stick w/w/e's working in the moment and just keep on top of the constant changes to security whether good or bad.
                              SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• Chewy
                                Super Moderator
                                • Nov 2003

I am seeing some new malware hitting, people downloading apps off P2P, can't get into safe mode, no .exe files will work, no av, rootkit keylogging backdoor trojans where if even your antimalware finds and deletes the files, they come right back, people are pulling the plug to the internet, wiping their computers, losing all data and reinstalling.
                                The bad guys seem to be doing it just to trash computers tho.

Comment

Working...