X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Which PC you running your Vista? Also I've had no problems w/Avira updating while on my PC doing w/e, whether I'm doing video work, online, E-mail or all of them. It'll just update, download the files and then close automatically. Matter of fact you don't have to wait for it to close, you can click on close and done. Avira once you log on or w/e will search n update, almost like having a schedule or doing it manually.

Which AV were you using? If it was on your Vista then prolly had to be Vista compatible, if not then it's the AV proggie itself. Either way your choice is get rid of w/e AV you were using, replace w/another, or find one that'll have no issues w/the PC you're using if that's the case. I'm just curious because I don't know how some have issues w/a AV n others don't especially when it's the same one and on same OS. Only thing I can think off in this scenario is internet connection or some compatibility issues in your PC.

Not for anything, but the headache might be worst trying to catch n get rid off something on there already using a throwaway. No doubt you can do this, but more consuming? Pretty sure you have backup image of any HDD's or w/e also. That Vista's a bi@#h huh?
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• MilesAhead
      Eclectician
      • Nov 2006

I don't like Scheduled Tasks in Windows because, for one thing, there's no easy way to check for HD activity. That's why you see all these tasks that fire at "idle" use CPU %. To get the HD activity involves lots of work.

As I mentioned a few times, when my first Vista PC was new, I didn't know defrag was in the scheduler. I was defragging with jkDefrag when Windows defrag decided I wasn't doing anything(since CPU % was low and no keyboard hits,) so why not defrag now? It's really lame until they have a fix for simple HD activity check accessible to programmers. afaik the only way is an involved system performance scripting thing. No simple API like GetDriveActivity(PhysicalDrive, duration) .. which is what's needed.

I don't like to run my PC so it pleases the av program. I'd rather have access to a bootable CD image with av on it with db and the image is updated. Then the blasted av wouldn't even be on my HD, much less running.
      Last edited by MilesAhead; 16 Feb 2009, 03:43 AM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

Ok. So basically it's because of the tests you run regarding programming and such that you'd like no AV at all, even if it's behaving normally. I kinda figured that. I've had no drop in performance at all w/Avira being on. Not scanning, just on like you mentioned you don't even want. Even on my Dell, at least nothing to notice. Being that you work w/your apps. a lot for programming I understand. Funny that since it's inception they still haven't put something out that doesn't use idle processes or any background running. They can. Just lazy I guess.

Now that you mentioned that defragging thing that happen on your 1st new Vista PC, I helped a friend today w/some tweaking n cleaning on his Dell. It's a XP Home Professional OS. I removed so much crap that's bundled w/the new prebuilds and about more than a GB of temp n reg stuff using Revo Uninstaller, Ccleaner n ATF. When I went to defrag there was no defrag option. I turned system restore off just to see if that was the case n still it said no defragging tool installed. Is Professional like that? It doesn't have a defragger? I'm almost positive I didn't remove it, because I would of got some warning. OT here so if a quick reply that's great, then I'll just search n post new thread if needed. Thnx.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

I believe XP Pro has your basic Windows defrag. I'm not sure what they do on these machines. According to the docs the Vista command line defrag that comes with Windows no longer has the -b option to defrag your boot files. The -b option doesn't show if you do "defrag /?" to get the params. But I did it anyway and it worked on my machine! Go figure!
          It gets more mysteriouser all the time.

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

Thnx Miles. You hit it on the button. I just Googled this very same thing n there were hits all over. From not being able to defrag if not Administrator to System Restore like I mentioned. I left a message on the old man's machine to call Dell. It should be under warranty. Let them figure it out. I'm holding on to XP Home until something can really convince me to let go n move on, and even then I'll still have it on 1 of my machines.

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

Can't blame you for hanging onto XP. I have the one PC dual booting so at least I can boot it to XP to do something I know works in XP but I'm not so sure about in Vista yet.

Comment

• titanfan1017
                • Dec 2005

i use avg free and advance system care free along with windows firewall. i love ascf its from iobit. kim komando actually talked about it i tried it and love it. http://www.download.com/Advanced-Sys...-10407614.html
                Big Daddy Dan
                "Stop thinking politically correct, Start thinking Playstation2, Let's blow some SH%t up!"
                Vin Deisle

Comment

• titanfan1017
                  • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
                  Can't blame you for hanging onto XP. I have the one PC dual booting so at least I can boot it to XP to do something I know works in XP but I'm not so sure about in Vista yet.
                  The thing about Vista is that you Must have enough ram. I work on a lot of computers. As long as I have 3-4 gigs of ram it runs as good or better than xp. Very few problems.
                  Big Daddy Dan
                  "Stop thinking politically correct, Start thinking Playstation2, Let's blow some SH%t up!"
                  Vin Deisle

Comment

• titanfan1017
                    • Dec 2005

i guess i needed to reply with the quote on the first post it doesnt make sense where its at. lol.
                    Big Daddy Dan
                    Vin Deisle

Comment

• MilesAhead
                      Eclectician
                      • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by titanfan1017
                      The thing about Vista is that you Must have enough ram. I work on a lot of computers. As long as I have 3-4 gigs of ram it runs as good or better than xp. Very few problems.
                      I understand. I have Vista 32 bit on one PC and Vista64 on the other. It's just always a good idea to have one machine with the mature OS installed since it supports the most applications. That way you don't get stuck.

Comment

• titanfan1017
                        • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by MilesAhead
                        I understand. I have Vista 32 bit on one PC and Vista64 on the other. It's just always a good idea to have one machine with the mature OS installed since it supports the most applications. That way you don't get stuck.
                        Very true miles. I have to say also 64 is very limited in what it will and wont run. Maybe in the next year or so it will be a more available situation but right now it just isn't.
                        Big Daddy Dan
                        Vin Deisle

Comment

• dr_ml422
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • May 2007

Talk about thorough. almost 15mins., but came up clean. Wish 1 can surf n just do 1 of these every once in a while w/out having it onboard as resident. that would b asking for trouble nowadays even w/safe hexing.

Any info on how bloated the paid version is? Thnx. Actually how much of a resource hog? This more than 40mb.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Dec 2006

Set you clocks forward .
                            Last edited by doctorhardware; 8 Mar 2009, 02:26 PM.
                            Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• gonwk
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Dec 2005

Hi guys,

I use Avira religiously ... but the other day it did not catch a Backdoor Trojan Banker ... but "A-Squared" caught it.

Just wanted to share it with you folks!

G!

Comment

• Chewy
                                Super Moderator
                                • Nov 2003

In some of the security forums there is discussion of how new malware gets thru your antivirus protection, first it's too new for your definitions, then it grabs the internal process used by most AV and then hides whatever it want to do, same with your firewall.

Heuristics and later definitions are all that will work, we are seeing sets of rootkits which hide each other.

Avira plus mbam running resident has a chance.

Safe hex and vigilance are your best defense.

Comment

Working...