• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • petsbug
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Jan 2005

Capt Moore

What happened with your problem now? Did you replaced the drive?

I am interested because I have the same problem before with my Philips 8701 combo, suddenly stops reading CD's. Luckily, I bought it from Dell and replaced the drive. I am interested because Dell did not asked for it to be returned and I still have it. The DVD was fine can read or write not on Cd no Read or write same as yours. Planning to buy an external case so I can use the DVD writer. If you found a fix am interested to know.
    -----------------------------------------
    DT: Burners: BenQ DVD CD DW1670 and 2 Philips DVD+- RW DVD 8701
    LT: Vista Premuim, HP Pavillion 9288ea

Comment

• Capt Moore
      • Jun 2005

I replaced the drive, and everything works again. The new drive will burn Tayio Yuden discs faster than they are rated, giving me a minor problem om playback until I manually told dvddecryptor to burn them at the rated 8x.

I had one other thought on how to get it the old drive working, but I do not know how to actually do it. I have heard about the dvd drives on xbox and ps2 video game consoles stop reading either cd's or dvd's and people have fixed them by adjusting the power levels via a small set screw somewhere in the drive. I have no idea where they would be on pc drives, and probably would require disassembly and reassembly of the drive. I took it apart but couldn't figure it out so I tossed the drive in the trash.
      On the plus side a new burner is only about $40 plus shipping online now..

Comment

• petsbug
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Jan 2005

Thanks! I want to use it again using it as an external drive and utilise the dvd r/rw (as the CD R/RW laser seems gone ) that's why I am planning to get an external case. Also, since I got two DVD R/RW with one combo, I like to set this drive to region 1 and my internals in region 2 so more problem viewing region 1 films.

Does these combo drives have two lasers? one for CD R's and one for DVD's ?

I am puzzled because it reads CD's in yours But not DVD's which is the opposite in my case.
        -----------------------------------------
        DT: Burners: BenQ DVD CD DW1670 and 2 Philips DVD+- RW DVD 8701
        LT: Vista Premuim, HP Pavillion 9288ea

Comment

• Xquizzid Kilo
          • Nov 2006

I too have the same problem with the Philips 8701 combo. Reads DVD but not CD. I dont really want to replace the drive because i am broke. Any other suggestions. This occured after burning a DVD using Sonic

Comment

• jgonick
            • Jul 2004

Mine has done the same. Mine works fine for cds and burning (even DVDs) but won't even find DVD in drive to play.. refering to a movie.. It will find DVDs that aren't movies.

Oh well, I guess its time for a new one.......

I will watch this post, because I think it is strange the DVD drive works fine except with movies.
            Last edited by jgonick; 30 Nov 2006, 05:44 AM.

Comment

• Shadowblk
              • Apr 2005

I am having drive issues as well. I was making a lightscribe label when suddenly it said it would not recognize the media. I just cancelled it because the program froze. Now, everytime I cut on the computer the drive ejects and will again if I push it in. However, when I go to cut the computer off it goes back in until I restart the computer. Any ideas? I have reinstalled the software for both the lightscribe and the drive itself. I can't figure out what it might be. Though with my knowledge level that might not be too surprising. lol

Comment

• mau
                • Jan 2006

Same thing here with a SONY. Before I dump it was able to read/write cd-s but wouldnt recognise any dvd-s (originals or copies!).

Comment

• bbjonez
                  • Jan 2007

Same problem

Captain, I'm having the same exact trouble as you were. NEC ND-2500A that can read CD's but just stopped reading DVD's one day out of nowhere. I've had it for since Spring 2004 and it has worked pretty good up until the last few days. So I guess the best thing is to say goodbye.

Comment

Working...