• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alipik
    • Nov 2005

Acer Aspire

hi

i hope it is the right place to ask about this
    i have acer aspire laptop and it has 7 pins s video port indicating tv out port
    i used s video 4 pins to composite cable to attach it to tv
    the problem is i can get audio very well , but i cannot get video at all on my tv screen
    what may i do to solve this?

much obliged
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

What cable is it?

Some cables only go from composite to s video. Some do both ways.

Are you sure you don't have a S Video socket on the TV? Most TV's from the last five years have them. It is sometimes incorrectly called SVHS (SVHS is a recording format).

Comment

• TNT
      DVD Shrinker
      • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by alipik
      i used s video 4 pins to composite cable to attach it to tv
      I think you are confusing terms. S-video cable has four pins plus a plastic guide "block" if you will. Composite video is usually carried on RCA cables and you have yellow (video), red (right audio) and white (left audio).

The seven pin version of S-video on your acer is used to convert from S-video to RCA, although you could use a plain 4 pin S-video as well.

Are you connecting S-video or RCA to your TV?
      Last edited by TNT; 15 Dec 2005, 10:06 AM.
      Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-Holder.
      I'm in shape. ROUND is a shape. - George Carlin

How to choose an HDTV, Step by Step

Comment

• nwg
        Left *****
        • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by TNT
        Are you connecting S-video or RCA to your TV?

Aspires have S Video out so it would be RCA (or phono as they called in UK) to the TV.

It might be a problem with the signal still being S Video and the TV cannot understand it.

Comment

• TNT
          DVD Shrinker
          • Jan 2004

The RCA plugs and S-Video plugs are 2 separate things. RCA's are round and have one fat pin in the middle. S-Video has either 4 or 7 little pins. I'm guessing that since the Aspire comes with a 7 pin S-video out, it also comes with a S-video to RCA adapter. I'm also guessing we're dealing with a faulty cable or a faulty hook-up.
          Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-Holder.
          I'm in shape. ROUND is a shape. - George Carlin

How to choose an HDTV, Step by Step

Comment

• nwg
            Left *****
            • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by TNT
            The RCA plugs and S-Video plugs are 2 separate things. RCA's are round and have one fat pin in the middle. S-Video has either 4 or 7 little pins. I'm guessing that since the Aspire comes with a 7 pin S-video out, it also comes with a S-video to RCA adapter. I'm also guessing we're dealing with a faulty cable or a faulty hook-up.

Are you talking to the OP?

Aspires have a combined composite and S Video socket (the 7 pins). The cable needed is a S Video to 3 RCA(stereo sound and composite video). It looks like the OP has this.

Here is a video of how to activate the video ouput on a laptop/computer.

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

ati or nvidia video?

Comment

• alipik
                • Nov 2005

the vga adapter in it is S3
                and i use 4 pins s video at the laptop side it is inserted well and at the tv side i use the composite inlet video in as u described rca yellow but no pics
                i changed and used the s video inlet at the tv but still the same results
                confusing

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

have you tried hooking up the cables, turning tv on and rebooting laptop?

Comment

• alipik
                    • Nov 2005

i tried it but no use
                    i see in the display properties the choice between lcd and monitor and tv but only the lcd is chosen and the 2 others are dark and closed not chosen and not available to choice
                    is there a button sequence to click to do this or software problem?

Comment

Working...