Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silvershadow02
    Silver Shadow
    • Jan 2006

I was just about to complete checkout then i remembered about thermal paste/greece. Do coolers normaly come with their own paste or do you normaly have to buy that separately?

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

artic silver 5 is considered the best?

Comment

• silvershadow02
        Silver Shadow
        • Jan 2006

Ok then, i've bought it all and i will fit it when it arrives. They had no desent thermal paste on their website so i'll get that tomorrow in town.
        Thanks for all your help

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

ur more than welcome and we need all the state of the art hardware we can get around here!

I ran across some geil (copper based) paste a while back, it's very dangerous
          as it conducts. but on the amd 64 which is covered by a metal plate, safe.
          Spread it? thin and even, less is better, prime the heat sink, put a little on it to fill micropores and swipe off excess. I have been doing this for a few years.

Comment

• silvershadow02
            Silver Shadow
            • Jan 2006

Ok then, i think that the overclock is complete. I am running at 2.858 Ghz, 238 MHz FSB, 12x Multiplier, 1.600 Volts, 203.45 MHz Membus.
            Idle = 35 C
            100% = 49 C
            I think that the new TT cooler was a bit of a must have item. I had to use stock cooling for a couple of days while it came and you could tell it was struggling to keep temp down, but i only used the pc for simple tasks, nothing which brought the usage much above 20%, no encoding or anything.
            It is a good fan, a bit noisy on the full 5500 RPM but i don't mind it, makes the pc sound powerfull

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

Takes good care of that cpu, it will eat digital video very fast.

Comment

• silvershadow02
                Silver Shadow
                • Jan 2006

Unfortunately, the system was not as stable as i thought when i posted last so i have had to raise the volatage by 0.050 making the total 1.650 Volts to the processor. Will the extra voltage hurt the CPU at all (nominal running voltage is 1.500v)?

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

Watch the temp, make sure the case is getting good airflow, that cpu
                  sounds like it's slightly overclocked by AMD to reach it's rating, my default voltage is lower and I just boost to 1.5V. Watch those cas settings also,
                  they might be the issue, the on cpu memory controller makes those setups
                  extremely picky with ram.

I don't know what I would do without Everest, (thanks again UNcasMS)!

Comment

Working...