Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katono
    • Apr 2006

IMB Laptop paperweight!

my ibm laptop does not accept my power-on password!

As i was typing in Word, a msg on my desktop popped up and said that smthing was wrong and gave fix now or fix later options. Because i know nothing about computers i pushed fix now thinking this was the right decision. It did whatever it did, restarted the computer and everything worked fine. i finished typing and shut down the computer. The next day, i turned it on and typed in my power on password. It didnt accept it, i typed it in again, thinking i made a typo, but it didnt accept it. I made sure caps were off, num lock, everything, but it didnt accept the password. After 3 attempts, it locks. I shut off the computer and started it up again, and typed in my password with no changing results. It doesnt work. i tried accessing the setup menu (this i see when i first turn on the computer for 1 or 2 secs), but it wont let me go there, it just takes me to the poweron password screen, regardless that i push F3. I tried the recovery disc, but those arent accepted either. ive asked if IBM has a BIOS password, but im told they dont. Is my laptop a paperweight or can i fix this? Is there anyway that i can cancel this password? anything?
    im desperate!
    Thank you all for your words of wisdom!
    Last edited by katono; 20 Apr 2006, 07:36 AM.
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

See if you can boot into safe mode. If so, backup all of your files through safe mode and reinstall Windows.

Unless there is another way (LT, Chewy or someone?)
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• katono
      • Apr 2006

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
      See if you can boot into safe mode. If so, backup all of your files through safe mode and reinstall Windows.

Unless there is another way (LT, Chewy or someone?)
      im sooo sorry, im not too sure what you mean. im not very computer savy!
      how do i do that.

I also forgot to mention that before this happend, a couple of months prior, i had my laptop in the internet - ONE time and i got a virus some kinda bloodhound32 . I gave it to my husbands uncle and he supposedly got it out. he also added some other programs that didnt work (a translator prog and smthg else) he also said that he had to hide some files, for what reason i dont know... would these have caused my problem?

Comment

• spuddog

I've heard that IBM built the password feature into thier business laptops as an anti-theft measure. It is very difficult to by-pass. A couple things you can try, take the cover off and reset the bios by removing the back-up battery or resetting the cmos jumper. next you could borrow or purchase a laptop hard drive with windows installed, replace yours then recover the data from the old one. Have you tried contacting IBM to see what they can do? Good luck

Comment

• katono
          • Apr 2006

Originally Posted by spuddog
          I've heard that IBM built the password feature into thier business laptops as an anti-theft measure. It is very difficult to by-pass. A couple things you can try, take the cover off and reset the bios by removing the back-up battery or resetting the cmos jumper. next you could borrow or purchase a laptop hard drive with windows installed, replace yours then recover the data from the old one. Have you tried contacting IBM to see what they can do? Good luck
          Thanks Spuddog for the suggestions!
          I have only contacted IBM via phone but they werent very helpful. I wanted to take it to a reg. dealer, but i am in Germany and am not too sure where one is in my neck of the woods and am not very fluent in German. Im not very computer savy, so im a little intimidated to try anything on my own, however i will see if i can find someone to try what you suggested - its worth a shot!
          Thanks again!!!

Comment

• katono
            • Apr 2006

Originally Posted by spuddog
            ... take the cover off and reset the bios by removing the back-up battery or resetting the cmos jumper...
            no success - any other suggestions???

Comment

Working...