X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

Laptop fixed, slight problem

got this thing fixed finally. it's old but only want it for typing in word and saving data to a cd-r--that's about it.

OS windows 98
    toshiba 1998
    authenticAMD
    AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
    32MB RAM
    4GB HD

3 questions. haven't used win98 in years

1) it only has a CD-ROM drive. when i insert a disc, i need to go to my computer and double click the drive to open files--NP. is there an auto play setting like XP has that pops up a window and says "what do you want windows to do with this disc?" open folder, play with etc....

2) the most important thing right now actually. can't view cd-r data disc with .jpg's on them when i double click it (i see the preview on the bottom left), but a message comes up saying "windows cannot find Program.exe" apparently i need this to view jpg's. what do i need to do or install to get a basic picture viewer like bmp's jpg etc?

3) i would like to get a cd burner for this thing--don't even know if possible.
    is it even possible and can i do it? or is it something more complicated? i installed all my drives on the PC no problems at all.

you know me, any help greatly appreciated
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

• soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

Because I don't know everything about it yet, I don't know if this would do what you want. You could check out picasa2. It might be more of a photo organizer but check out the features & you can decide for your self.
    Last edited by soup; 24 Apr 2006, 05:08 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

somewhere in the file properties there's an association, similar to xp's but a different place? tell it to let .jpg's be associated with whatever?

a program grabbed them but was uninstalled?

new usb drives are cheap(usb1 will give you 900KB/s) love my gig holds 50% more than a cd

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

thanx guys.

so, in pt1 of your esponse chewy, where do i find those settings?

i'd like to keep win 98 to open these files, if something is missing like it says, what do i do about?

about the burner chewy, is this an external burner you speak of? i'd like to remove this one and buy a new one if poss.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

1. can't remember!

2. install irfanview :^)

3. i urge you not to spend any more cash on this; usb port?
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

hey anon

update. i called around here, people say to replace the internal is an arm and a leg--laptop has to be taken apart, ain't gonna happen. option 2, external burner. cheapest i can find 80$. ain't gonna happen. option 3 which i have decided on, flash drive USB. yes i have it (USB) anon, so that is the cheapest, and best answer as far as i'm concerned here.

for q1, i can live with it if i have to....

ty
            Columbo moments...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

i chose infranview and now all pics are set to associate with it--excellent

guess i'm done with this thing--thanx fellas.
              Columbo moments...

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

glad to hear it LT
                "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...