Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmick66
    • May 2006

Alienware?

What do you gyus think of the Alienware Brand for proffetional use... are they really worth their money? A workstation is about 2500 english pounds... The Laptops seemed interesting and are advertised as movable workstations... do you think they deliver?
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

alienware's support, warranty and build quality is excellent, but not worth the outrageous price imho
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

for that price you could build 2 kicka$$ workstations with 19" flatscreens

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

a pc magazine i used to subscribe to started a challenge-- sent letters to 5 leading pc manufacurers (dell, alienware, and my favourite local parts store) telling them to build them the most powerful system they can manage, with whichever parts they choose, must be under $3000. they would then be benched thoroughly and results add up to a final score.

iirc dell had the lowest score, alienware went OVER the price at $3800 (claimed they couldn't build a system the were happy with for $3000) and came in 3rd!

lol the complete underdog won-- the small business with only 2 locations in all of australia, where i like to get parts from

edit: just checked, only one location lol. with every visit you're guaranteed to be waiting at least 30 min in line
        Last edited by anonymez; 26 May 2006, 10:27 PM.
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

the problem with stateoftheart computers is the first year or two's depreciation, buying components at the "sweet spot" (best bang for the buck)
          makes a lot more sense. This year's 4-500$ vidcard is 2-300$ next year and 100-150$ that next year. If you've got deep pockets and want to put 1000$
          a year into a computer so be it.

Comment

• ed klein
            Banned
            • Mar 2004

Alienware sucks, I am currently running an Alienware that I purchased 3 years ago, the support team is useless, and you can not understand what they are speaking, you have to tell them you are going to take them to court if they don't honor their rebate program. The 80gb hard drive went out after two years of operation.

They are owned by Microsoft, the only good thing about them is their cases, very large, you can easily get 4 optical internal DVD-RW drives in them with ease, and they are easy to work on with all the internal space.

Some of the plastic parts on the door case is very cheap. I would not purchase an Alienware product again.

Comment

Working...