X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
    I understand. I almost got thrown off again when you said you deleted your C: partition. I thought, how can he operate a computer w/out a os. You just did that as a experiment to see if the back-up program w/your back-up would work. Of course you installed it afterwards right?
    I did the restore of the image I saved. The entire disk was put back in the condition it was when saved.. like a snapshot.

Miles can someone actually operate a computer from a disc in the drive w/out installing it? That would be something really hi-tech. It would definitely have to have a super encryption so that only one's computer can use it though. If not one would be passing it around like fresh baked bread.

Linux is free so they don't worry about people stealing it. There have been Linux "Live CD" versions around since the early 90s. You boot the CD and usually it creates a Ram Disk with Linux running. There's a bunch of them. I haven't kept up with the latest and greatest. Try http://www.linux.org/
    for a place to start.

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Well, I was interested in what Linux is about as it's used by some members and mentioned here on occasion. Right now I'm going to relax, and play w/what I have though. No purchasing unless really needed, and no big new learning processes as of right now. Started going all over the place again and spreading myself thin. Got to keep a eye on the wallet too. This place w/all the info can become dangerous $$$wise. Lol...
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

I hear you. I've been itching to get a new PC but from what I hear Windows 7 may be worth the wait. Plus it seems like a few months after Christmas another whole line of PCs comes out. Guess I'll bide my time until the deal is too good to pass up.

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

This windows 7 atifsh is toying with. Did he purchase it, or does MS come out w/a free trial? I don't get that as it seems from his thread and what you just posted that it's not really officially available yet.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• kevdriver
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • May 2005

No Doc, it's no official yet.......... lots of advanced issues floating around though....
            Oils well thats ends well.

Comment

• doctorhardware
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2006

He is a beta tester and that is how he has windows 7.
              Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

Originally Posted by kevdriver
                No Doc, it's no official yet.......... lots of advanced issues floating around though....
                Ok. I think I get it now. Somehow linked to some of the Forum Rules huh?

Beta believe not everyone officially privy to it. It's all good. After all the testers finish w/7 or w/e else then we could all come in for the kill. Save us time and headaches.
                Last edited by dr_ml422; 28 Dec 2008, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

XP Taskbar Tooltip Fix

After years of running with my Taskbar not set to Stay On Top because it hid the Quick Launch Tooltips, I found a fix on the web. If you have nircmd
                  installed run this line in a command prompt to fix it up:

nircmd win settopmost class "tooltips_class32" 1

What a relief!!!

Comment

• dr_ml422
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2007

Originally Posted by gonwk
                    Hi folks,

I found this by accident ... so, I decided to share it with my buddies here at DD ...

Clean removal of any program from your PC. Uninstall and remove programs and software in Windows with Revo Uninstaller Pro easily!

I think you will find this a pretty handy software ...

Let me know if you like it.

G!
                    Lil late, but I just found this the other day myself. Great app. Cleans the house up literally and definitely. I especially like that Hunter Mode. Great alone as a reg cleaner or in combo w/Ccleaner and ATF.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Dec 2006

I have played with it before I have it here some where on a hard disk.
                      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                        Eclectician
                        • Nov 2006

fraqtive - do it yourself wallpapers

I've been playing around with this fractal generator called fraqtive
                        It's great for doing your own cool wallpapers. Fast, free and easy
                        to use. I uploaded a couple that I did to my site. You're welcome to download them(they are at the bottom of the page.) It's kind of fun to make your own though. The trick with this program is to get the image you want and double click. Then switch to full screen mode and capture or save so that the image will be in the dimensions of your desktop. Works in XP, Vista and Windows 7.

Comment

• paglamon
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Aug 2005

Nice fractals Miles. I personally try fractals with Tierazon,Apophysis and Ultra Fractal.(http://www.fractalarts.com/ASF/Download.html). But Fraqtive looks promising too. Here are 3 examples of mine:
                          sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• MilesAhead
                            Eclectician
                            • Nov 2006

Those are really neat. Mind if I steal 'em for my desktops? I'll have to check out those apps when I get a machine with more GPU power. Fraqtive is designed for quick and dirty but it's fun. I think the last time I did a fractal wallpaper I was running Win98 on a 486 with 16 MB system ram and 1 MB video card. At 1024x768 only 256 colors. It's fun to do some again.

Comment

• paglamon
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Aug 2005

Mind if I steal 'em for my desktops?
                              I will be honoured, friend.
                              It's fun to do some again.
                              Absolutely. And it is addictive too. Kabuchan was really the first to inspire me into this.She is very good with fractals.
                              sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• MilesAhead
                                Eclectician
                                • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by paglamon
                                Kabuchan was really the first to inspire me into this.She is very good with fractals.
                                I noticed her art. That's what made me google for a fractal program. Unfortunately the old PC I put W7 on doesn't have the graphics to do Aero so I can't use any decent themes to see what's what. But it's nice to have a good wallpaper.

Comment

Working...