Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maximaking
    • Mar 2006

Upgrade advice

OK guys/gals I'm looking into upgrading my old celeron 2.4 for faster video transcoding. I don't like waiting 2 hours for a single dvd. Here's what I was planning on with a budget of around $200 to $250 if i stretch things. Looking at the intel pentium d 805 with the biostar p4m800-m7 motherboard. I already have the SATA hard drive and a gig of pc 3200. I want to keep my existing AGP video card. I'm probably going to OC to 3.0 just for fun. Any other suggestions? Either way I'll wait a week or so until the new intel's come out to drop the price on the 805 or maybee the 820.

Todd
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

Get a better motherboard, biostars have given me nothing but trouble,
    wait a little more than a week if you can, why go with that hot a cpu,
    it will be hard to OC. The 805 and 820 will not drop that much.
    The amdX2 3800 is what will drop big time. (40%)

Your ram may be the bottleneck, what is it?

Comment

• maximaking
      • Mar 2006

I am planning on waiting a few weeks, Looking at the AMD processor, it seems pretty high (around $300 cpu alone) compared to less than half for the price. I found another board if anyone cares to comment on it. Asus p5vdc-mx supports both ddr and ddr2 for when I finally make the leap to ddr2.

Thanks Chewy
      Todd

Comment

• d00by
        • Jul 2006

yeah amds (which used to be cheaper than intels) have raised their prices like crazy. However you can get a reg ol p4 2.8 ghz for a really decent price now, specially if you have a Fry's in town. They always have good mobo proc combo sales going on. And I have heard bad things about boards that support both ddr1 and 2 and boards that support agp and pci-e so you might not want to go that direction.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

That board will be ok but the ddr2 supported at 533 will not be able to keep up with an OC'd cpu that well.

wait till august

Comment

• NightTran
            King of Digital Video
            King of Digital Video
            • Aug 2005

August? time for my birth day present
            sigpic

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

actually in 4 days the apple cart gets turned over, intel is really hurting

Comment

Working...