Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

yeah that could be, it's a cheap cable too. the thing never moves though. i did try wiggling it thinking of this too, nothing. and yes this has only happened to the remote pc. i'm still 100% since it happened and don't expect it for a while, now at least i have some more practical things to do when it does

btw how much does that gizmo cost? i'll bet it ain't cheap.

following the guide, while try to double click my downstairs pc i get this, where do i allow permissions?

Last edited by LT. Columbo; 27 Jul 2006, 05:13 AM.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• codajohn
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Jul 2005

Lt . I've been having the same problems. However, they have been wireless.
      First..everything was running great until my Router, a Linksys WRT54G, died. I replaced it with another Linksys-WRT54G (ver.6). Firmware is up to date. Best Buys had a sale at $49.99. Just in time. Set-up was the same as before. No problems.......hmm?
      I also have the Linksys WPS54GU2 Wireless Print Server and a 2 week old Linksys WRE54G ver2 Range Expander. The connection was great. No wireless network problems to speak of. I installed the range expander and updated Dell's wireless card driver.
      Everything is running great. I guess I shouldn't complain. But, OK here it goes.

When the card looks for my SSID during boot up, no problem. It takes about 60sec. to refresh my IP. Seems even longer when I'm in a hurry. I'm not sure if this is a normal amount of time.

Anyway, I was unable to gain access to the print server's settings via IP. I called Linksys and they had me make all my first time settings via cable. Cable from router to range expander. Cable from lap to router. Set gateway to router IP. No problems. I tested it all day.
      Print server, no IP problems. Print Server also has Admin. Utility. This is convenient.
      I just tried the range expander IP, No good. But no problems. But I can't quit.

@vw56german,
      Thanks for the right click my computer > Manage > event viewer > system
      Long file.
      CJ
      My DVD Collection
      Register To Join Digital Video Forums

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

The Golden Rules of Burning

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

well i have no idea. i spent some time with it already, googling too. it seems the pc that has the printer won't allow the other one to view it. i can see the other pc from both from "my network places">"view workgroup computers"
        the wizard went through that process ok, but when i go upstairs to the pc without the printer and view the downstairs one, i can't open it to add the printer, i get the above error, where as downstairs it can happily open and view the upstairs pc.

pc with printer (xp home sp2)

pc without (xp pro sp1)

yeah, real piece of cake chewy!

Originally Posted by chewy
        add printer on remote, pick network printer,
        this is all that's left.
        BTW, a nice bonus is their webpage is down and i can't view the guide. just to make sure, which computer do i "add printer" from, the one with it? or the remote one?
        Last edited by LT. Columbo; 27 Jul 2006, 09:46 AM.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

LT,
          someday you'll look back at this and laugh, if A see's B and it's files, but B doesn't see A's files, then A is not set up right.

each workgroup must be exactly the same name

when asked at end of setup wizard tell it you want to share files and printers

if computers are protected with passwords you have to login remotely, but tell it to remember

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

they have the same name, files and printers shared. neither has ever had passwords.
            Columbo moments...

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

and both have been rebooted since the last change by either?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

if you mean did i reboot each pc after i did the setup wizard like it asked, yes.
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

in my network places under entire network, microsoft windows network, each computer shows the one and only one workgroup?

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

they both have to be rebooted after the last change on just one computer

after doing the first one and rebooting, it will have to be rebooted again after
                    the second one is done.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                      Demigod of Digital Video
                      • Nov 2004

really? ok well i try restarting pc A again then, so far pc B has just the one network group like it should. it does appear lower case though, when i typed it in wizard as caps - case sensitive?
                      Columbo moments...

Comment

• jmet
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2002

coda, does the range extender really work? I have heard good and bad reviews on it.

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

when i typed it in wizard as caps - case sensitive?
                          very very much so, as I told my 4 yr computer tech school PITA guy last year

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                            Demigod of Digital Video
                            • Nov 2004

it ain't that, it only allows caps for naming the workgroup. i did the setup again on pc A, i'm positive everything is right, gonna re-boot and go to the other one now...
                            Columbo moments...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                              Demigod of Digital Video
                              • Nov 2004

same bloody error screen. i see what you mean about setting this up there really isn't anything to it, but this damn error.
                              Columbo moments...

Comment

• Chewy
                                Super Moderator
                                • Nov 2003

what exceptions are listed in the windows firewall on the computer you can't log on to remotely?

Comment

Working...