Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

it's got printers and files checked in there, i looked before. could it be avg free? i found this, even tried the "crate without password" method, doesn't matter...
    The file system in Windows XP is based on Windows NT and Windows 2000, so many of its features are new to users of Windows 95, 98, and Me.  In this article,
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

when you right click on my network places and hit properties, is there just one device listed? no bridges or any other crap?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

"One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

are both computer xp sp2?

cables? hooked in the lan ports not the wan?

running out of ideas quick

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
            pc with printer (xp home sp2)

pc without (xp pro sp1)
            this is strange, i've seen others with tha same problem and have been reading all this text, tried many things and nothing. one guy had the opposite of me. the home couldn't access tho pro, i have the reverse problem. the pro can't open the home to add the bloody printer

cables? hooked in the lan ports not the wan?
            wan has input from modem, 2 ports output ethernet, one to each pc.
            Columbo moments...

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

wait a minute, you can see the files but not the printer?

or you just can't open up the other computer at all?
              Attached Files

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

can't open up the other computer at all
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

you didn't put the pro on a domain when asked did you?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

i don't know if i was asked that, been a long day. maybe i should go through the wizard on IT too again?
                    Columbo moments...

Comment

• codajohn
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by jmet
                      coda, does the range extender really work? I have heard good and bad reviews on it.
                      Oh yes, It works great. My lap is within a foot of the expander. As you can see both (JOHN) SSIDs show up on the utility. The lesser signal John is my router in the basement. I get -34dBm signal and -92dBm noise and still get 54 Mbps speed. Linksys said I would only get half the rated speed. I'm lucky?
                      I also use Net Stumbler to run area signal scans.
                      Last edited by codajohn; 27 Jul 2006, 08:47 PM.
                      CJ
                      My DVD Collection
                      Register To Join Digital Video Forums

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

The Golden Rules of Burning

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                        Demigod of Digital Video
                        • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
                        i don't know if i was asked that, been a long day. maybe i should go through the wizard on IT too again?
                        well chewy i did the wizard again, and like i thought it doesn't ask to be on a domain.
                        Columbo moments...

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

use the pro computer to creat a network disk and use that to load the home?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                            Demigod of Digital Video
                            • Nov 2004

what will that do?
                            Columbo moments...

Comment

• Chewy
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2003

well anytime the pro boots up it's the boss over home, another stab in the dark? A lot of people have problems with home joining a work group.
                              I have gotten w98 to work, kind of funky but it does.

the home computer shows it's shared files when opened by itself?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                                Demigod of Digital Video
                                • Nov 2004

the home computer shows it's shared files when opened by itself?
                                yes it does

i've spent a couple hours today with this already. now i'm starting to get really frustrated. this is the kind of luck i get. having two OS's confuses things, i'm confused about user account names and passwords. both pc's just have administrator account with the same name (i also tried with different names) and no passwords as they are set-up to auto log on when windows starts.

i don't even get the error. the remote pc (the pro) gives me the error trying to open the downstairs one. does this mean the remote pc has no rights? or the other is blocking? i have no bloody idea.
                                Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...