• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craftmaster
    • Aug 2006

Can't do a complete defragment

My 2nd post

Hello everybody,
    I hope I am doing this right. Anyone have the same problem as I do?
    I was doing my weekly defragmentation of my hard drive and one file could not be defragmented. The file was AluriaCacheFile. I am currently operating Earthlink as my IP and Earthlink Protection Control Center (Aluria software) as my virus, firewall and spyware protection. It came free with Earthlink. If I try and delete the AluriaCacheFile I get the following message:
    Error
    Cannot delete AluriaCacheFile: access is denied
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
    and that the file is not currently in use.

So to temporarily delete the program, I deleted the protection control center icon in the tool bar and still could not run a clean defragmentation and I received the following report with the file that could not be defraged:
    Fragments File Size File Name
    373 2 MB \AluriaCacheFile.dat

My question is; how do I temporarily turn off the AluriaCacheFile to do a complete defrag?
    I have contacted Earthlink and they don't have an answer but to uninstall the whole virus protection center before defragmenting. I do not consider this as good practice. They said they would send to R&D as a glitch. I went on the Aluria software web site at http://www.aluriasoftware.com/ and got no information. I googled with the search name AluriaCacheFile and came up with all the same questions as I have. The only answer being It always is running. If I get any more info from Earthlink I will pass it on.
    Can anyone help!!
    Thanks
    Attached Files
  • mill
    Im Off To See The Wizard
    • Oct 2005

Maybe you can turn it off in msconfig, i never cared for earthlink i deleted all there software when i used them as my isp and conected to the internet via internet explorer
    Last edited by mill; 30 Aug 2006, 07:21 AM.
    Keep Plugin away

Comment

• Craftmaster
      • Aug 2006

mill
      Hello
      I went into msconfig and deleted from services and looked at startup and defraged again no luck. I still come up with that one file not defraging. I agree on Earthlink, but the broadband deal was hard to pass up. Thanks for the ideas.

Comment

• soup
        Just Trying To Help
        • Nov 2005

Look for a thread about tips of the day. I seem to remember one or two posts with programs where you could delete any file. It might help.

Edit: http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=67258.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

safe mode

Comment

• Craftmaster
            • Aug 2006

Chewy
            I did it in safe mode and it worked, but this is still a lot of trouble to go through before I defragmate. I think I will just delete the Earthlink security center and use another virus/spyware program as Mill suggested. I still think Earthlink should have a switch to turn of the file completely. I am using ad-aware for my spyware anyway. thanks.
            Soup
            I am still looking through the threads for the info. Thanks to all
            Cheers

Comment

• RFBurns
              To Infinity And Byond
              • May 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
              safe mode

Maybe Microsoft should have called the XP os SM instead....since many things have to be done in Safe Mode!

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• mill
                Im Off To See The Wizard
                • Oct 2005

Originally Posted by Craftmaster
                mill
                Hello
                I went into msconfig and deleted from services and looked at startup and defraged again no luck. I still come up with that one file not defraging. I agree on Earthlink, but the broadband deal was hard to pass up. Thanks for the ideas.

Im not saying drop them as your isp just dump there software unless you like all there services, i seem to remember back when i had them i went to add and remove programs and removed there software ,and was still able to connect through windows internet explorer . and also i think when i did chose remove i got a message to pick what all i wanted removed from there software . Do you have there software on disk or did you download from the internet? Its been awhile since i used them as my isp. But on the other side i dont think one file not defag. is slowing your pc down that much. But get a second oppion please im not the expert here. My avatar should tell you that, lol

Chewy had a great ideal try to defag in safemode
                Last edited by mill; 30 Aug 2006, 08:32 AM.
                Keep Plugin away

Comment

• Craftmaster
                  • Aug 2006

windows has so many thing running at one time it good MS DOS is still the Boss.

Comment

• Craftmaster
                    • Aug 2006

mill
                    I do not intend to drop Earthlink as my ISP and they still give a chance to uninstall separate programs. The safety control center is separate and this is what I will uninstall. All are downloaded from the Internet. I also have access to AOL, the free add-on with security. This file is not a operational problem but I am used to a defragmentation being completed. I respect your opinion. I will defrag in safe mode till I change as Chewy said.

Thanks
                    Last edited by Craftmaster; 30 Aug 2006, 09:06 AM. Reason: addon sentence

Comment

• JimS
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2006

I've become so tired of all the crap and hoops you have to go thru with
                      MS Windows, I've started using Linux. Little by little I've learned to do the
                      things I have liked in Windows. Now I can do many in Linux. Pretty soon
                      I will be able to backup my DVDs in Linux. I already know how it is done.
                      The only important program that I haven't found I can use in Linux
                      is my genealogy program or similar one.

With Linux I don't have to as many worrys about malware, as malware
                      is normally made for Windoz, not Linux. But I do have an anti-virus program
                      that kills Windoz viruses also, so I don't pass them on to friends. The kernal
                      in Linux is seperate from the desktop. It is easier to keep secure and not
                      so easily attacked as Windoz is with its kernal and desktop being a single unit.
                      BTW - my Linux OS has been free.

I agree with others above that you should dump all the bells and whistles
                      Earthlink has strangled you with. Use their ISP or get a simpler ISP.
                      KISS, keep it simply simple. Keep it clean. Do what you want, not
                      necessarily what the software says you want.

Comment

• Craftmaster
                        • Aug 2006

To Chewy and Mill
                        Earthlink contacted me and said "The AluriaCacheFile can not be deleted because it probibly contains items such as trogons and viruses in the deleted items list folder and is afraid to let them out, to contaminate my computer, and that is why it is always running". I am not sure I buy this reason. Any way, I deleted the Earthlink Control Center and now I can do what I have to do.

Comment

• Gary D
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Dec 2005

To release a file in use by another program, it is called unlocker. It is in the tips thread.
                          Gary D

Comment

• mill
                            Im Off To See The Wizard
                            • Oct 2005

I dont buy it either, probally just there way of saying there not sure how to

heres some online virus scanners,for future use
                            Last edited by mill; 4 Sep 2006, 06:11 AM.
                            Keep Plugin away

Comment

• Craftmaster
                              • Aug 2006

Gary D
                              I downloaded the program unlocker but it could not delete the files. I used that program yesterday. I tryed every key.Thanks

Comment

Working...