VirusBurst- A malicious spyware program.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gary D
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

VirusBurst- A malicious spyware program.

I downloaded this program inside another program. It took me 3 hours to delete it as it downloads other Malware into your computer.

My Nortons was turned off by it and it stuck an icon in the taskmanager tray (on the right hand side).

So I updated my Nortons and it did not find it!

I updated my Adaware and it found 3 autodialers and 6 other trojans BUT did not find it.

I updated my Spybot- Search& Destroy, it killed about 7 more trojans BUT did not find it.

I knew it was still there because of the icon!

Frustrated, I googled "VirusBurst" and got this page.

I followed the instructions there and voila, the icon is gone from my tray.

Tomorrow when I wake up, I will update and rescan again!

By the way, the original was in a "codec" file for WMP!

Happy careful surfing!
    Gary D
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

Gary,

thanks for the info. keep us updated as if it shows up in a follow-up scan.

it never ends...

katz

Comment

• discman
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Jul 2006

i've had a few of those the last one i had to remove in safemode.even had one that disabled my internet access.thanks for the info gary d thats one to avoid.and another 3 are\winfixer\unspypc\blubster.
      Last edited by discman; 2 Sep 2006, 09:48 PM.

Comment

• soup
        Just Trying To Help
        • Nov 2005

Thanks for the heads up Gary D, much appreciated.

Comment

• Gary D
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2005

All clear! (For now)

I scanned with my Nortons, AdAware, and SpyBot and no viruses have reared there ugly heads....

BUT

Since none of these programs could find it originally, I will be (trying to) update my scanning programs on a regular basis until they catch up to it. I see a lot of scans in the next little while.

Just because I am clean now does not me I am truly clean. Until the programs catch up, it is a wait and see game now.

Further information:

When I searched for the DLL file (and others), I used windows search function. I found the DLL file but could not delete it. Somebody (probably jm1647EDIT: It was PA2004) recommended a program called "Unlocker" a long time ago. I unlocked the dll and was able to delete it. But I had to reboot as the unlocker had to turn off a lot of other programs for it to work.

So far so good for now!

Gary
          Last edited by Gary D; 3 Sep 2006, 03:31 AM. Reason: To correct info and to insert link.
          Gary D

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

gary

just to be sure try one of these, preferably 2

with some of these trojans I have had to do an update to the program,
            disconnect from the internet and reboot into safe mode to kill the core downloader part

one nasty would not let me disconnect from the internet

Comment

• soup
              Just Trying To Help
              • Nov 2005

Would the Widows Live Safety Centre help?

Comment

• uufta
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Dec 2005

Thanks Gary, do you have a link for that unlocker? sounds like a useful tool.

Thanks Gary for the link...
                Last edited by uufta; 3 Sep 2006, 03:39 AM.

Comment

• Gary D
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2005

Thanks Chewy

Trojan Hunter Results:

Code:
                  [B]Registry scan[/B]
                  Registry value exists: [COLOR="Red"]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\{fe2d25c1-c1db-4b5e-9390-af1cb5302f32} (matches TrojanDownloader.Zlob.500)[/COLOR] 	(Regedit Jump)
                  Registry key exists: [COLOR="Red"]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{202a961f-23ae-42b1-9505-ffe3c818d717} (matches TrojanDownloader.Zlob.500) [/COLOR]	(Regedit Jump)
                  [B]Inifile scan[/B]
                  No suspicious entries found
                  [B]Port scan[/B]
                  No suspicious open ports found
                  [B]Memory scan[/B]
                  No trojans found in memory
                  File scan
                  No trojan files found
                  So this program found 2 more that the other 3 programs had missed in the RegEdit entries.

BTW It was PA2004 that had posted the link to unlocker. Here is the original post: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...992#post424992
                  Gary D

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

ewido and a squared might even find more but wait for a while

Comment

• Gary D
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Dec 2005

Chewy I just ran Ewido! Thanks

ewido anti-spyware - Scan Report
                      ---------------------------------------------------------
                      Code:
                       + Created at:	2:02:10 PM 02/09/2006

+ Scan result:	

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Internet Explorer Security Plugin 2006 -> Adware.IntCodec : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
                      HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Internet Security Add-On -> Adware.IntCodec : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
                      HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Public Messenger ver 2.03 -> Adware.IntCodec : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
                      C:\WINDOWS\NDNuninstall7_22.exe -> Adware.NewDotNet : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
                      HKU\S-1-5-21-606747145-287218729-1801674531-1004\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{4A2AACF3-ADF6-11D5-98A9-00E018981B9E} -> Adware.NewDotNet : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
                      C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\SetupDTSB.exe -> Adware.SaveNow : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).
                      :mozilla.11:C:\Documents and Settings\Camera\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ajsiax4x.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.
                      :mozilla.12:C:\Documents and Settings\Camera\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ajsiax4x.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.
                      :mozilla.13:C:\Documents and Settings\Camera\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ajsiax4x.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.
                      :mozilla.31:C:\Documents and Settings\Camera\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ajsiax4x.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.
                      :mozilla.42:C:\Documents and Settings\Camera\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ajsiax4x.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.
                      :mozilla.7:C:\Documents and Settings\Camera\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ajsiax4x.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.
                      :mozilla.8:C:\Documents and Settings\Camera\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ajsiax4x.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.
                      :mozilla.9:C:\Documents and Settings\Camera\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ajsiax4x.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.
                      :mozilla.32:C:\Documents and Settings\Camera\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ajsiax4x.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Atdmt : Cleaned.
                      :mozilla.48:C:\Documents and Settings\Camera\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ajsiax4x.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Hitbox : Cleaned.
                      :mozilla.49:C:\Documents and Settings\Camera\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ajsiax4x.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Hitbox : Cleaned.
                      :mozilla.50:C:\Documents and Settings\Camera\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ajsiax4x.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Hitbox : Cleaned.
                      :mozilla.36:C:\Documents and Settings\Camera\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ajsiax4x.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Trafficmp : Cleaned.

::Report end
                      Still not clear BUT very surprising results!!
                      Gary D

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

you should have let the trojan have a few days to get really entrenched and maybe an upgrade or two

Comment

• Gary D
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Dec 2005

I will wait now.

I saw your original post about using 1 or 2 more. By the time I read your reply, ewido was running. It took the longest but scanned the most files!

A lot of the spyware was in my "Camera" log-in which is interesting because I thought all uninvited cookies were deleted when I ran CCleaner. I guess they are only deleted if CCleaner is ran in that log-in. I learned lots today. But the next scans will then be Monday (a holiday in Canada).

What a pain in the ar$e this is!!
                          Gary D

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

that's why I just grin at my clients and ask, you do have everything backed up don't you?

I then take their drive, grab their data and reload

Comment

• Gary D
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Dec 2005

I have a picture of my C drive on my external usb HD from about May 1st. That will be a very last resort!!!
                              Gary D

Comment

Working...