X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Budreaux
    • Jan 2006

Video Card for Media Center

Hey fellas...

I'm sitting here looking at my spare computer and I'm considering converting it to a media center for my living room.

My goal is to install 4 x 500gb harddrives and put all my DVDs on it for viewing.

The kids tend to scratch my DVDs and with the 600+ I have, I'd rather just put them on the computer and have a menu setup for them to use.

My question is.. do any of you have or seen anyone doing this and if so, what vid card are they using.

I currently have an older Chaintech Ti4200 Limited Edition vid card in it, but I'm not sure it will do a good enough job, if at all and I actually prefer my Ati cards over it.

I'm running a Sapphire 9800 Pro card in my main rig.

I just would like to hear from others who may have done or seen this working and get some input on video quality and such.

Right now it's just a project, but if I see it will do as I am hopeing, I'll be rebuilding it into a new desktop box (Black Media Horizontal Case) with the 500gb harddrives. (2Tb)....

any constructive friendly input is welcomed.

Budreaux
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

using an nvidia 6600GT here, ideal card for the job IMHO; does some fine deinterlacing, avc hardware acceleration and not too pricey.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Budreaux
      • Jan 2006

Mind telling me how you connect it to your tele?
      I have a JVC tv and I don;t have Dvi connections, just Svid, PbPrY composites.

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

i use DVI, but you should be able to get dvi/vga-->svideo
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• volfann
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Jun 2006

How about a 7600GT XXX version??