X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • superman217
    Newblit
    • Jul 2006

Testing Memory

I want to test my memory, I tryed using MEMTEST86 but i'm having problems loading it onto a disc, and I do not have any floppys, any suggestions on another memory tester? Also does anyone know any good programs that monitor your pc temps?
    Last edited by superman217; 19 Sep 2006, 03:39 AM. Reason: Adding
    The final state of any discipline is where you forget what you have learned, discard your mind, and accomplish whatever you set out to do without being aware of it yourself. You begin by learning and reach the point where learning does not exist.
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

make a boot cd
    MemTest86 is the original self booting memory testing software for x86 and ARM computers. Supporting both BIOS and UEFI, with options to boot from USB.

Comment

• superman217
      Newblit
      • Jul 2006

I tried, can I use CD-r to make it? I dbl clicked install.bat entered my drive when dos popped up and nothing happend. Did I mess up?
      The final state of any discipline is where you forget what you have learned, discard your mind, and accomplish whatever you set out to do without being aware of it yourself. You begin by learning and reach the point where learning does not exist.

Comment

• vw56german
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Jun 2005

For computer temp monitoring, either google or do a forum search for "Everest" it will tell you loads of good info about your system.

Chewy, would his bios have to be set for boot from cd rom rather than boot from floppy drive?

Comment

• superman217
          Newblit
          • Jul 2006

Thxs vw56 ill check it out

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

I downloaded the iso, dbclicked it after extracting, imgburn loaded, I gave it a cd-r and set burn speed to 16x, burned 1.8MB

set bios to boot to cd first, after booting the test started by itself
            Last edited by Chewy; 19 Sep 2006, 04:11 AM.

Comment

• superman217
              Newblit
              • Jul 2006

Ok when I extract and dbl click the program dos loads, not a burning program? Can you maybe post a picture please?
              Last edited by superman217; 19 Sep 2006, 04:09 AM. Reason: Picture

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

did download the iso zip file for cd-rom?

use nero, dvddecrypter or imgburn to burn the iso

Comment

• superman217
                  Newblit
                  • Jul 2006

Ok obviouslly retarted today, didnt dl the iso file sorry for the bother

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

hey,
                    no need to apologize, a year ago I got hold of the german version, included a boot loader, ended up with a non-removable gui at boot, after about 3 months
                    killed the thing by deleting all partitions.

Comment

• blutach
                      Not a god of digital video
                      • Oct 2004

Wanna stress your system - go get ORTHOS. If it passes 4-6 hours on that, you're safe forever.

Regards
                      Last edited by blutach; 19 Sep 2006, 07:03 AM.
                      Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                      [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• superman217
                        Newblit
                        • Jul 2006

Thxs again chewy!

That sounds dangerous for my poor old dell, I think its enough that I tinker with it every day. That probally stresses it out enough. How would I go about burning setup programs to a disk. For example avg's installer on a disk so I could transport it to another computer without internet acces. Or HD Tune's installer so I have a portable hard drive checker?

Also I tryed that everest which had too much info for me lol. But I was hoping for a program that sits in my system tray or something that informs me of the temps in my system, so that I can watch them?
                        Last edited by superman217; 19 Sep 2006, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

just put all your installer programs in a folder and burn that to a cd-r with nero or imgburn.

everest won't give you that type of readout but if you spot check using sensor you can watch temps that way

speedfan is one that probably does what you want but all these take resources to run

Comment

• superman217
                            Newblit
                            • Jul 2006

Ok thxs as usuall

Comment

Working...