• Show
Clear All
  • O-pos
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Dec 2005

MPC has problems with DVD video playback

Hi Everyone,

I'm very devoted user of Media Player Classic and I'd like to ask you abot my problems which I have with it.

The principal problem is that with sound. There is sound output, of course, but the background sound is too loud and the volume of voice of the conversations barely can be heard. When I increase the volume, the conversation still cannot be heared well, but the background sound (music etc..) gets so loud that my neighbours in students' house get disturbed. I know it's not because of DVD because I tried the same with Power DVD and it works OK.

Also, when I open some DVDs with MPC, there's only sound and no video, as if there's no video output or decoding problem, however, again, with Power DVD everything is ok.

Please advise me something if you have any suggestons, because I'd like to watch my DVDs with MPC and not Power DVD. Thanks in advance for your reply.

O-pos
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

is it possible you've messed with the ac3 decoder's settings? options-->internal filters-->ac3, make sure settings match your hardware, try disabling DRC if enabled. disable normalizing/gain in options-->audio switcher.

ofcourse if you still can't get it to sound how you want, you could always disable MPC's internal ac3 decoder and set Cyberlink's (powerDVD's) decoder as the preferred one.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• O-pos
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Dec 2005

Thanks alot, I'll try this evening.

anonymez, don't tell me that you are Ubuntu Linux user !!! I was also thinking to switch to linux and after reviewing many distributions, I chose ubuntu because of it's philosophy!! . However, I still haven't done this, particularly because of some favorite programs of mine, which can't be launched on Linux, like Foobar2000 and MPC for example. Do you already have solution for this?
      Last edited by O-pos; 23 Jan 2007, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

dual boot here, windows is still my main OS due to photoshop, gaming and a few other windows-only apps that wine can't help with. IIRC foobar2k works with wine, not sure about MPC. VLC and mplayer work well though.

Comment

• O-pos
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Dec 2005

anonymez,

How can I make sure that ac3 decoder settings match the hardware settings, how can I know what the settings of my hardware are?

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

eg if you're listening with stereo headphones, ensure it's set to stereo output

Comment

• O-pos
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Dec 2005

It didn't work. I tried several times to enable and disable ac3 decoder in options-->internal filters-->ac3 but it didn't change anything. I didn't find DRC it was not in internal filters. then I tried to set Cyberlink's decoder as default in external filters, but there were many cyberlink's decoders including 4 audio decoders without any difference in name. I tried first of these audio decoders, but nothing again. if you want, I can take a snapshot of the settings and put it here...

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

I can take a snapshot of the settings and put it here...
                that would make things easier. basically you disable the internal ac3 decoder, add cyberlink's audio decoder to the list, select it, select preferred, hit OK.

Comment

• O-pos
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Dec 2005

I've tried to set everything like you told me but nothing has changed. Here are snapshots of thesse settings, I'm putting them here, maybe you can find something..
                  Attached Files

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

while playing, right-click the video, select filters. do you see cyberlink's audio decoder?

Comment

• O-pos
                      Gold Member
                      Gold Member
                      • Dec 2005

anonymez, I did it, now it works, thanks. while playing, I right-clicked the video, then selected filters. There was no cyberlink's audio decoder, then I made some changes in filter preferences, which I don't remember exactly and now somehow it works, and cyberlink's audio decoder is now in filters. So that's ok now, thanks.

If you have the answer, another question would be how I can move subtitles little bit upstairs? I usually zoom videos on 16:9 display (touch window from outside) and then part of subtitles cannot be seen. in Options>subtitles there are some settings for % and resolution, but changing them doesn't help. maybe you've got an answer for that too?

Thanks again,

O-pos

Comment

• anonymez
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2004

MPC's subtitle settings are for text based/vobsub subs; they're no good to you in this case. you could, however, decrypt the disc and use something like DVDSubEdit to reposition them

Comment

• O-pos
                          Gold Member
                          Gold Member
                          • Dec 2005

It's kinda disappointment for me to hear that there is something what MPC can't do because it can everything... Is it possible to decrypt DVD with MPC, or should I install DVD decrypter? What do you recommend for dvd decryption?

Comment

• anonymez
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2004

What do you recommend for dvd decryption?
                            Ripit4Me. you will need DVD Decrypter (and preferably DVD Shrink) installed beforehand

Comment

• soup
                              Just Trying To Help
                              • Nov 2005

Here are some links for you.

RipIt4Me guide.

RipIt4Me.

ImgBurn, install first before installing this Dvd shrink.

Dvd Shrink.

Other link.

Comment

Working...