• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rago88
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Aug 2005

rom or writer as source drive?

I always mean to ask this about what most here use as the source drive when backing up..

a single dvd writer for both source and destination or,
    a dvd rom slave and of course a master writer

and,
    although I have both a slave rom and primary burner,
    I notice that regardless if I am copying a disk or ripping,
    If I use my Plextor 16x as source and destination, it reads the disk much faster.
    Is this because your writer is the Primary drive and regardless if you put a 2nd writer as a slave, the primary drive will always read faster..?
  • beachbumm33
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Feb 2007

I use one drive for source (slave) and the other one for destination(primary)....I guess I dont worry about the source read speed, I usually start Ripit4me and go do something else during the process

Comment

• ed klein
      Banned
      • Mar 2004

If your looking for just pure speed, get an optical drive which is designed for SATA connection to your motherboard. Typical example Plextor 716SA

If you have only IDE optical drives primary and secondary IDE cables, master and slave connection on each cable. Try to use only the master connection on each IDE cable if you are looking for speed. And the slave connection vacant.

Normally the best for the source disk is a DVD-ROM only optical drive. But by todays standards you should get when your DVD-ROM drive wears out an optical drive that can read and write to save physical space. Typical example Plextor 755SA.

I have three optical drives on this unit, two IDE master connections with NO slave connections, and one SATA connection. Speed is great for what the computer resources have.

Comment

• rago88
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Aug 2005

ok.
        let me modify the question..

when I use my Plex burner primary drive] as the source when I rip, it starts to read at a faster pace..8-9,000 kb's up to 21,000 kb's.

whereas if I use my dvd rom [secondary drive] as the source, it reads slower, starting at around 5,000 kb;s never really reaching 21,000.

so, does a dvd burner read your rip faster than a dvd rom or is it due to having your burner connected as the master or primary optical drive?

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

all burners and other drives rip/read differently on different disks, whether they are slave or master shouldn't affect the speed, what does is when they share a cable with the hard drive they are writting to.

speed is of little importance in the rip, getting the job done is what's important

ripping to a hard drive that's almost full will slow things down a lot also

Comment

• rago88
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Aug 2005

Understand..

my burner is strictly seperate from hard drive..
            connected

I do notice when I copy[not rip] a disk,
            it takes 5 or 6 minutes longer[ granted, not a long time]
            when I use my rom as the source and not the Plextor burner.

btw: although I have a 16x plextor, I never burn a rip above 8x.
            I only use 16x when I am doing a copy of a burn..

Comment

• ed klein
              Banned
              • Mar 2004

Also, reading CSS protected disks on high end Plextor optical drives locks-in a read of 2.0 unless you circumvent it.
              Check out the owners manual.
              Last edited by ed klein; 4 Mar 2007, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• rago88
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Aug 2005

Ed,

I should have said, copying [un-protected already ripped] disks with rom as source reads slow..
                Last edited by rago88; 4 Mar 2007, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• blutach
                  Not a god of digital video
                  • Oct 2004

Doesn't seem to have much to do with RipIt4Me - thread moved.

Regards
                  Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                  [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• rago88
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Aug 2005

Geez,
                    you guys are like the CIA here...
                    not complaining... but I can't see where a post now and then that someone determined to be in the wrong area is going to harm or bring the forum to a screeching halt..

unless of course,
                    you are doing this for that members benefit so the right people will see it and respond which I would commend.

Comment

• Gary D
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Dec 2005

Is your DVD-ROM capable of those high speeds??

Check out videohelp and put in your burner .... LINK

It will report what your DVD-ROM is capable of.

Sometimes a burnt disk will read slower if the media is of questionable quality.

I use Verbatims and my drives read a high speeds on both. If I take an old CMC MAG (memorex), I am lucky if it will read it all and at most 4X because all of the read errors. Quality counts when it comes to media!!!
                      Gary D

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

people go to a particular subforum for help on that subject, it's better to keep things organized and move posts where they belong

Please be polite when posting your messages (no flaming).
                        rule 2
                        Last edited by Chewy; 4 Mar 2007, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Working...