• Nov 2003

Something scares me about the Ultra brand

Comment

• jm1647
      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
      • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
      Something scares me about the Ultra brand
      The 500WATTer is still chugging in the SanDiego box at 11.78 volts which is in the tolreance of +/- 5%....It's the price that gets me Chewy I got one of these too. no free shipping, was under $8 and no tax for me where I'm at.

Comment

• zerozero
        0x2
        • Feb 2007

heres my take on psu,s.this was posted on my mother boards mfg sitesite.
        ultra and hyper r not very good at all.

Power supplies have risen to the top of the most important pieces for a successful build. For some reason people continue to hold on to the mental stigma that the PSU is an insignificant part of the PC's components. Time and time again you see people spend a boat load of money on a motherboard, memory, video cards, etc., then buy a $50.00 PSU to try and power it. People must begin to realize that a good PSU will cost as much if not more than high end memory and motherboards. My suggestion to everyone is to just bite the bullet when you buy your next system and buy a power supply that is worthy of every other component your using.

Comment

• jm1647
          • Apr 2005

Mine came today. Looks good. I got a lil shook up and thought the P4 12V plug was missing This PSU had a 8 pin 12V plug thats splits into 2 4 pin 12V plugs.

@zerozero - there are plenty of Ultra PSUs floating around. Every test I seen has had favorable reviews (not that they were the best PSU I agree but acceptable) A lot have people have posted elsewhere that they bought them and so far no complaints.

Comment

• jm1647
            • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by jm1647
            The 500WATTer is still chugging in the SanDiego box at 11.78 volts which is in the tolreance of +/- 5%....It's the price that gets me Chewy I got one of these too. no free shipping, was under $8 and no tax for me where I'm at.
            I finally got around to reading the voltage output of my Ultra 500PSU with a meter. Everest SW reports it at 11.78VDC on a ASUS A8N5X mobo and my Fluke 77/BN DMM shows it at 12.06VDC on one of the molex connectors. Almost right on

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

the real test would be to record real time voltages at bootup and during burning, the stability of the voltage rails is dependent upon the quality of the capicitors used

Comment

• jblitz277
                Digital Video Technician
                Digital Video Technician
                • Apr 2007

i just ordered this on friday did I make a mistake
                Asus P5N-E Sli nForce 650i mobo
                Intel Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz
                4 Gb OCZ Platinum Rev 2 PC6400 DDR2 800mhz
                Samsung 203B(sata)
                BenQ 1655(ide)
                Lite-On LH-20A1S-12 (sata)
                500Gb WD caviar (sata)
                300Gb Seagate Barracuda (ide)
                500Gb Western Digital external Harddrive USB X 2
                600w Ultra Infinity PS
                8500GT 512mb Vid
                Samsung Syncmaster 906BW
                Vista Ultimate (32 bit)

Comment

• jm1647
                  • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
                  the real test would be to record real time voltages at bootup and during burning, the stability of the voltage rails is dependent upon the quality of the capicitors used

@Chewy - I'll give that a shot soon too. I just posted to show the difference between what Everest SW was reporting and my Fluke @100% CPU usage.

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

if even a few burns are great then your volt rails just about have to be stable

Comment

Working...